Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2004, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mr burn, the key phrase is "in normal conditions the machine will not generate enough heat to see the benefits." I have been to many engine transmission seminars and updates, I have asked many factory reps many questions. They all agree, synth is not bad, just an expensive overkill. In the same breath they say you dont have to buy our oil, their point was that synth is not needed under normal conditions

My reply is under normal conditions you might not DAMAGE your system with a distilled mineral oil but I would like to see oil analysis on mineral vs. synthetic to verify that fact. You will realize a big difference in the performance of your machine. The more difficult it is for the engine and hydro system to pump the oil through the components the more HP it takes away from the job at hand. Again, If the temperature is lowered just by changing the oil, not adding more coolers, you have reduced friction. Friction robs power. I have significantly improved my fuel usage by using better oil products. Let's say mineral oil costs $2.00 a quart and synthetic oil with additives runs $6.50 a quart. In my Dixie Chopper I need a little over 10 quarts for the engine and hydro system. So that would be a difference of $45.00 dollars for synthetic vs. mineral. I have improved my fuel consumption over 30 percent by just changing the oil nothing else. I used to fill up every 4 hours, now 5 1/2 hours. I pay $1.89 per gallon of gas right now, and it's going up in all likelihood! Using mineral oil I burn 1.5 gallons per hour. With synthetic I burn .9 gallons per hour. Figuring 25 hours times 1.5 gallons at $1.89 = $70.87 Figuring 25 hours times .9 gallons at $1.89 = 42.52
Savings of $28.35 in fuel minus $9.00 additional for synthetic that means I save $19.25 over the 25 hour oil change. Times how many machines per month and the savings are significant.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the previous post the $9.00 figure comes from the two quarts of oil in the engine, not the whole system. The synthetic in the hydro gets changed at 500 hours or 1 year.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Cheap oil from the dollar store is actually good oil. I have used it for several years.
I use anywhere from 10w-30 to SAE 60wt
oil.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Let me get the disclaimer out of the way first. Its a free country and anybody can do anything they want. I am not telling anybody they have to do anything. These are just my opinions based on my life long school of hard knocks. I do not intend to offend anyone.

I think that in this day and age of 70 plus mile per gallon cars and federaly mandated corporate mpg averages that if you could get 30% better gas milage from nothing more than synth oil the car manufacturers would have been all over it a long time ago. I personaly do not have an axe to grind with synth oil or anyone using it but I do not believe the commercials on TV where they are driving in the desert with no oil or coolant in the motor.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know anything about commericals on TV. I just know what happened when I changed to the oil products I'm using now. Why do you think the car companies are going to 20w oil?

Also it's not just the synthetic oil but the additives in it that account for the increase in efficeincy.

I also remember when the president announced that we were going to send a man to the moon and he would walk on the moon. How many people thought he was nuts?

I'm not saying that everyone that uses this oil will get a 30 % increase in fuel efficiency, only that I did.

Experience without education and education without experience can be a very limiting factor.

Lawn mower manufacturers as in car manufacturers don't build the very best mowers that technology can build. They build what they can sell. I don't know if you know what a "bean counter" is in the manufacturing industry, but check it out.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I stick with the JD oil myself straight 30. My dealer recommends it and it's easy to pick up while I'm grabbing other supplies. I change my oil every month in my 737, probably way more than I should, but what the heck it's cheaper than a new engine. and I do about 35 acres a week with that one.
Echo & Stihl blowers & trimmers,
Gregson Clark Sprayers,
Lesco HP 125 Stand on Spreader,
BG Parking Lot Vac
Lots more

Green Thumb Mowing Services
Hagerstown, MD
Time is Money - don't waste either.
Jason
Old 04-28-2004, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

i have a question bases on the topic OIL
for my TIGER CUB MOWER what type of oil is used in the HYDRO RESEVOIR IS IT A HYDRO OIL or is it 20w50 MOTOR OIL??
Old 04-28-2004, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

i just read somewhere the requiremenst of some mower and it says no special hydro oil is required just a standard grade 20-50 so i guess mine is the same correct me if im wrong please lol
Old 04-28-2004, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

just regular sae 20w-50 is what I was told on my cub