Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2008, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, google needs content (written words) to run a query... then it sorts pages by their rating.. part of a pages rating is how many pages link to it.. (it's like every page that links to yours gives yours a point.. the page with the most points ends up on the top of the list)... Lawnsite has lots of pages linking to it and thus a good score... Leaving this post, and adding to it.. will help to get the information out there. This thread might even end up as the first page for certain Jerry Baker searches.

Speak and be heard.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

come monday we will see what happens to this thread.LOLOLOL
Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I just posted a comment that I thought posts on this site were no longer allowed, because no one had made one recently. However, it got posted, so I had to edit it, because of that.

Last edited by Jerry Baker; 08-27-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: See the explanation, above.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's number 23 right now on googles list
Old 06-22-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually the yeast in beer will eat your thatch in your lawn. The yeast does the same thing when they brew beer- it eats the grain. And any normal non lawn troll knows you just don't pore it in one spot and think it's going to take care of all your thatch in a lawn that 50 feet by 75 feet. You put it into a sprayer and add water(plus other parts of the tonic) and spray so it covers your lawn. Duh!

As for the liquid dish soap - it's makes water wetter. Does the same things in your kitchen sink. It breaks down the water surface tension, and the dirt. Also a lot of your lawn care companies will add it to their spray trucks. Reason is they don't have to use as much chemicals to do the same work. So all these lawn trolls who are making fun of all this- really haven't a clue. Maybe a little Junior High school chemistry might help them get the thatch out of there head. Also the drop of liquid dish soaps in a QT of water in a spray bottle and used properly will kill flies, aphids, and other insects- it drowns them- it cuts off the air supply because bugs breath through their "skin", and the water drowns them.

(This for a laugh- by brother and I used brut deodorant to kill snails as kids in California. Does a great job. But I would not suggest every one should do it. Too expensive.) Also using the lemon scented dish soap, the bugs do not like the lemon scent or the mint scented stuff either.

But Dchall_San_Antonio is way off on the mouth wash- it kills fungus and mold. Which are things like powder mildew.

BTW if you go buy your normal fertilizer it normally does not have the Epsom salts in it. If you try to find one that does it will be about $35-$45 dollars more. SO picking up a bag or carton of the Epsom salts and shaking into your bag of normal fertilizer, it will really will help green your lawn, and not take the green out of your wallet.

tannic acid- also kills molds and fungus. And it will kill things (molds) the mouth wash will not.

tobacco - nicotine extract is freakin' dangerous to be near, highly toxic which is why it's off the market. --- Has Dchall_San... ever read the ingredients list for Raid Wasp and hornet killer? They still put it in insecticides and even the new e-cigarette use nicotine in them. They even put it into gum. Not that I would ever be caught chewing any of it. But the idea behind steeping chew in hot water over night is to get that nicotine out of the chew so you can use it on the aphids on your roses (along with your lemon liquid dish soap).

Look I had over 800 dahlias in my front lawn (intensive organic gardening) and I used all this stuff on it. And wound up with 8 foot dahlias.

I even used the Epsom salts/fertilizer on the camp's lawn next door and I had one heck of a great green lawn. My only mistake was using the un-pasteurized beer/flat sugar 7-up (no diet)/1/2 cup of LQ lemon joy/black Tea (tannic acid)/ and two cap full of mint mouthwash in a gallon sprayer and one cup of Epsom salts (rest filled up with water).- The problem? It totally wiped out all of the thatch in less then a month. It did leave the green grass- which at that time, the growing grass left behind was really sparse. The area was the size of two foot ball fields on the side of a hill. I had one heck of a time getting the water to soak into the grass. But as the summer went, the grass really did take off and grew. BTW- everything I was told about gypsum breaking up clay, it didn't hold a candle when it came to using mulch in clay.

Also, I had about 35+ yards of tree leaves/wood chips/lawn clippings from the local power company and the neighborhood (thanks to my wood chipper). I used a bag of brow sugar, two cups of white sugar, 1/2 cup of lemon joy, six cans of unpasteurized beer on the pile of wood chips. Then I used my drip irrigation system every day to water it. I was told that it would take over two years to decompose that pile into mulch. It did it under 4-5 months. And I had earth worms over 8 inches long running around in it. There was cedar in the wood chips so it made the whole neighborhood smell great. Some of our neighbors were TROLLS and could not process what I was doing. I used the mulch to turn gray clay into top soil in less then two months. Cool part was you no longer needed a jack hamper to get the weeds out. You could bend over and pluck weeds with no trouble. I rototilled 6 inches of mulch to 12 inches of gray clay, and I had the best drained soil ever.

That was also the year I had leader of the neighborhood tell me that I did not need to water the camp lawn after I had spent the summer using the tonics on the lawn and watering it. You see we normally had apples the size of gulf balls on the camp property. Also according to the camp they lost a good amount of their kids coming back because the kid's hated the lawn- before that summer because the lawn pricked them. Back to the neighborhood leader- That year we had apples the size of grapefruit. I went over and plucked three apples and handed it too him and said "Oh your so right I never had to water or do any work on the lawn". When it dawn on him what I had handed to him, all I got out of him was an "Oh". Grapefruit size apples and lush green lawns are the best revenge. Most of the time when you have really large apples they are dry inside. Not that year.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never thought of yeast as being a critter that would eat thatch in a turf environment... it is a different environment than bread dough or beer vats...
I just use dry molasses/sugar...
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Think about it, back 2000 years ago Egypt did not have stainless steel vats to brew their beer. IF I understand things right they were the first to brew beer. Also were the first to give beer for wages... but that's another story.

What did the Egyptians have to make their beer in? Clay pots. Stainless steel vats or Copper pots had not even been thought of at that time.

Here's how it was put to me: What is barley, rye, oats, wheat, grain, and hops? They're a form of grass. What is thatch? Grass. ....Right?

So the yeast and other organisms in beer that eat the grains also eat the grass the grain is attached to when the grass is growing. { That's why you have to use unpasteurized beer for your lawn- for this trick to work}. Yeah, the process is a lot slower on your lawn. Takes about a month or more (depends if the weather is hot enough, and the ground is moist enough to get the yeast to multiply- and again it's not really the ground but the grass that needs these two things for the yeast to do it's thing), but yeast does the same thing on your lawn that happens in just days in a warm stainless steel vat with water and grain.

One important thing I need to point out: You don't poor the can of beer in one spot. You put it in your gallon sprayer that has not been used for other chemicals, add the other stuff like the 1/4 cup of liquid Joy dishsoap, the fill the rest with clean water, then spray your lawn.

You say the Egyptians did not have things like yeast. You're right again. But normally when the grain came in from the field, it had already the yeast on the grain. Add to that, most likely the Egyptians did not always have their moister meter out to check the water content of their grain (they had to wait 2000+ year for that), my bet is the yeast was already active. Add water to your pot and put in the grain to soak, and you got some crude form of bear.

It's been in the last 100 years we figured out what yeast was, and figured out which one did the best job that we use now for brewing. Also it helped that back 2000 years ago, they did not use new clay pots every time, so a lot of the time they had the yeast they need already in the pot- they just didn't know that.

I don't remember what channel it was on but they had one on the history of beer. If you can find it, you might want to watch it.

Last edited by D9W; 06-24-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't speak about yeast being effective on thatch (why waste good beer?), but I know a little about ancient history and beer.

2000 years ago, Egypt was ruled by the ancestors of Alexander the Great and then Rome.

Beer, my favorite beverage, after water, is much older.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Alexander the Great 20/21 July 356 – 10/11 June 323 BC (Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great)

Rome's history spans more than two and a half thousand years, since its legendary founding in 753 BC (Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome).

Quote from WIKI: "Beer was part of the daily diet of Egyptian Pharaohs over 5,000 years ago. Then, it was made from baked barley bread, and was also used in religious practices.[15]

The role of beer in Egyptian society was far greater than just a drink. Often, beer was prescribed to treat various illnesses. Beer was considered to be the most proper gift to give to Egyptian Pharaohs, and it was also offered as a sacrifice to the gods.[citation needed]

Based on historical evidence, it appears that the Egyptians taught the Greeks the beer brewing process....
" {http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer}

hmmm. it seems the Egyptians were Making beer before 356 BC and way before 753 BC. Funny, I did not see anything about Alexander the Great and beer in the wiki post History_of_beer.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You make my point quite well.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt