Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2003, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

License

I wanted to know if you needed a license to put down organic fert.? if so is it the same as a regular License?
Thanks,
~Jeff
Echo 230s Trimmer
Echo HCR-1500 Shrub Trimmer
Sthil FC-75 Edger
Homelight B/P Blower
Old 09-01-2003, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I would check with your state licensing department for requirements.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Member

In Massachusetts you can spray and use anything without a EPA number without a licence, Organics are 100% ok to use as long as its organic and doesnt display a EPA number.

Also.... Anytype of fertilizer (as long as its st8 fertilizer, no crabgrass killer ect..) can be used without a licence....

I am positive on this information because I had a person to person meeting with one of my state pesticide agents.
www.HometownLawnCare.com
HometownLawnCare@softhome.net
978-447-1752
Old 09-02-2003, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps MA is much more liberal in pesticide regulation than other states. Didn't have time to read the whole law, but MA law defines these terms:

""Pest'', an insect, rodent, nematode, fungus, weed, or any other form of terrestrial or aquatic plant or animal life or virus, bacterium, or other micro-organism, except viruses, bacteria or other micro-organisms on or in living man or other living animal, which is declared to be a pest by the administrator or by the department with the approval of the board.

""Pesticide'', a substance or mixture of substances intended for preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest, and any substance or mixture of substances intended for use as a plant regulator, defoliant, or desiccant; provided that the term ""Pesticide'' shall not include any article that is a ""new animal drug'' within the meaning of section 201 (w) of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. s 321 (w), or that has been determined by the Secretary of the United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare not to be a new animal drug by a regulation establishing conditions of use for the article, or that is an animal feed within the meaning of section 201 (x) of such act (21 U.S.C. s 321 (x)).

Basically same definitions as FIFRA, the federal law. Most states regulate the application of pesticides for hire - and they regulate the pesticides allowed within the state. Just because a product has an EPA number does not mean you can use it in your state.

Hometown, and anyone else looking into chemical or alternative pest control, you had better get written confirmation of any regulation or lack thereof before you actively undertake any program. "he said it was OK," or ignorance of the law, is no defense when the law catches up with you.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Organic fertilizer is not a pesticide.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Woodycrest is looking back at the original question. From what I've seen on this list, each state has its own program for both fertilizers and pesticides. We're going to have to be careful to see that we're talking about the right issue with those two.

Popsicle's reply is probably right on.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in the state of Texas, you have to have a Commercial Appliator's License, Catagory 3A or a Structural Pest Control License, if you receive any form of income/payment from any form of application of a pesticide. It doesn't matter if it is organic or synthetic. I have either built or maintained golf courses in seven states and noticed the application laws are remarkably similiar in scope and enforcement. With regards to fertilizer, I have never heard of specific application laws just for that.
The important point is wether or not you the applicator, receives payment.
I do work for the spokesman for the TDA, and he informed me license violation fees have gone up 3K% due to the budget shortfall. He also said contact with other States revealed fines are going way, way up as well.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok...suppose you are applying corn meal as a fungicide...it is still the same product but with a different purpose.

SWD, Do you know of any golf courses that use corn gluten meal for fertilizer?
Old 09-03-2003, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see y'all have cut to the chase.

I think that once y'all have agreed that corn meal and corn GLUTEN meal are both legitimate fertilizers, then this issue of can you apply it as a anti-fungal (in the case of corn meal) and/or a preemergent (in the case of corn GLUTEN meal) is a key concern on this forum.

I would suggest this if you believe you can do it. Apply corn gluten meal as a fertilizer in the spring and fall. Apply corn meal in the summer. If your season is long enough to work it on a 90 day cycle, then that's how I would do it. If you get a week of steady rain, you might offer a second app of corn meal "to fertilize" but really to control any fungus that might pop up. You can apply corn meal in the rain, by the way. Kinda messy but duh. I'm just saying nobody will get hurt and the grass won't be hurt.

Every organic material you apply is going to have the long term benefit of enhancing the health of the beneficial soil microbes. Organic materials also enhance the ability of the soil to prevent disease. Some just do it more efficiently. Does that make alfalfa a pesticide? -even if it is a fertilizer?
Old 09-03-2003, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dchall, without trying to be argumentative,
however, do you have any information on the long term effects of corn gluten upon soil stability and microbial population?
Don't get me wrong, I believe organics have a place, just as synthetics do.