Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-09-2000, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking for a K30 Dually for awhile.
A friend of mine has a Landscaping business and is getting rid of some old equipment. He say he has a K30 with a Fisher plow and a airflo sander that needs works. ( possibly a carb for the truck and a new remote start cable for the spreader.

The truck isn't brand new (somewhere between 84 and 88) but I was looking for something to build up anyway.

He is asking $3500 for the package. I think I could probably get it for $2500 maybe less, after all I have gotten him a lot of work recently.

My only concern might be the chassis. It is somewhat rusted but may clean up. I suppose I could weld supports into the chassis if I find weak spots, can't really tell until I powerwash and scrape the frame

Any suggestions or recommendations. I am not afraid of doing a total rebuild of this truck.
Old 10-09-2000, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With out seeing it i would say yes. Why well the cost, its cheap there is no way around it. Just for comparisent, last year i set up a 2000 F 350 4X4 dullay, 7.3, xl, 9' rugby dump body, 9' diamond plow. Total Cost 29K for the truck, 3K for the plow, about an extra 600 in lights and other misc, total set up cost 32,600. Now this truck is used for a lot more than snow removal.

If you are going to use that 1 ton for just snow removel, this is what i would do, and i have sean this done.

Rip the pick up bed off (if its a pick up), sandblast, grind, weld in some extra metal, repaint the truck and frame. Then go out a buy some extra steel bild some fenders over the back tires, and mount the v-box to the frame of them truck.

If its got a dump body, you can either rework the body, or trash it and do the same as above.

Either way its a lot cheaper to put 5K into a 2500 dollar truck, then to go out and spend 32600 for a brand new. If its only going to be used for snow, buy the 2500 dollar one.

Geoff
Old 10-09-2000, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This truck will only be used for snow removal. There isn't a body on it right now, I assume the spreader is attached to the frame.

I will probably keep it this way fro this winter. Then maybe put a flat bed on it. This way I can use it for more than just snow removal.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2000, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Geoff. For that price, compared to a newer truck, how could you go wrong? Even if you had to weld a little steel, and swap the motor and trans. You'd have a strong truck, and know you have a new motor and or trans. All that leaves is the axles. So you figure drivetrain wise, if you had to replace those parts, it would cost you maybe another $5,000. So for a total investment of roughly $7 - 8,000, you'd end up with a truck that will last you for years. Not only that, but parts in general for that truck are plentiful and cheap, compared to most trucks on the road. The worst part of running the truck, is it <B>will</B> suck down fuel. But that's to be expected plowing and salting with any heavy duty gas motor truck.

Don't forget to inspect the frame real close where the steering box mounts for cracks. Though I'm told the K/30 series has the brace that is sold aftermarket for the 10 and 20 series trucks.

~Chuck
Old 10-09-2000, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Chuck,

I always inspect that part of the frame. I have always owned and driven nothing but Chevys or GMC, had a 74 K20 4speed , hated shifting so I sold it and bought a 78 K10, w 4" lift, automatic, was a great truck, too bad i didn't keep it.

Now have a 86 K10 Custom deluxe among others. This K30 will be just another workhorse in the stable.

What I really want is an 87 or 88 K30 Dually fully loaded.You know the boss has to have a Nice truck. The new ones are in my opinion to car like to really work them.

maybe when the Duramax comes out, I will switch to diesel, but until then, diesel is for my loader and backhoe.
Old 10-21-2000, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I bought it today. Its a 86 GMC Sierra K3500.
It has 64,000 miles on the truck, less than 500 miles on a new motor(was put in last year, I talked to the outside mechanic that did the work) a new Carb, new Gas tank (had a hole in the top, water was getting into the tank)

It has a 9 ' Fisher Plow and a 4 year old AirFlo Stainless Steel spreader with an 6 inch extension on the hopper.

The tires are almost brand new!!

I can't wait to get it home and start getting back into shape. First things first, oil and filter change, trans fluid and filter change, fresh antifreeze, belts, hoses and a tuneup (its been sitting awhile)

Then I am gonna install auxiliary lighting aimed to see the spread pattern, and Hopefully a Whelen Edge Towman Srobe Unit. Maybe just a magnetic mini edge until I get it painted company colors in the spring.

And it only cost me $3,000

JCurtis1@optonline.net
[emailjeff_curtis@stamhosp.chime.org[/email]

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!!!!!

May those who died in these vicious attacks rest in peace, and may the families of the victims find solice in the fact that their loved ones are sitting with God.
Old 10-21-2000, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you got a great deal can't find those trucks here for less than $12K or so with out any extras like a ss sander or plow>to bad it's not a diesel old K style is the best .
Old 10-24-2000, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

excellent deal-the spreader and 9' fisher are the icing on the cake-it sounds like you stole it.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I guess you can't trust friends. The friend who I was buying that Dually from renegged. Said he picked up a few jobs and needs the truck this year.

Man was I p***** off!!!!.

So now I am out looking for another reasonably price Chevy or GMC 4wd dually.

if anyone knows of one email me.

JCurtis1@optonline.net
[emailjeff_curtis@stamhosp.chime.org[/email]

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!!!!!

May those who died in these vicious attacks rest in peace, and may the families of the victims find solice in the fact that their loved ones are sitting with God.
Old 11-20-2000, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a 1 ton dump 4x4 in the TNT magazine From Pen Hazel equipment 570-455-5091 2 '88 4x4 dumps plows and spreaders some rust auto 454 $6,000 '85 diesel auto $9,500 '89 diesel 4spd $12,000 they are in Hazelton ,PA