Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2006, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

anyone from iowa?

looking for anyone else from the iowa area?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im right on the border, prairie du chien wi

Old 03-17-2006, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlturfcare
looking for anyone else from the iowa area?
Southwest Iowa

Old 03-24-2006, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I am in southwest Iowa. New at this. I want to start business correctly with insurance and correct permits. I am working on a business plan at this time and hoping be able to buy some equipment this spring and summer. I would like-to do overseading etc this fall and really work on getting 20 accounts for next year. I plan on building from that. I would like to be able to do this full time and after 3 years be able to hire one or two employees. If any one has any info that would be helpful on pricing or mowing I would like to here it. thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, me. used to be anyways. ames area. john, pm me when you have enough posts on here and i'll help you out. i (used to anyways) know a lot about the iowa biz laws. yardandgardenhandyman is up that way too.

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag:
Old 08-04-2006, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm from Cedar Rapids. I've been trying to find what licences and permits are needed for fertilizer and pesticides/herbicides. If anyone can help me out with those,k that would be great.

I've found some of the info but it would be nice to now from those of you who already have them. Hope you all are doing good this year. Take care!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

North Linn County
Old 09-06-2006, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

glad to see that there is other guys here from iowa..Crlawnguy, In iowa to do pellet fertilizer you just need to pay the permit in the spring(depends on how much you use) and liquid you have to take class for it.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in NE Iowa. I have done a small share of lawn care and many landscaping jobs, but nothing full time. I have a strong desire to work outdoors, I am organized, a perfectionist and feel I have the tools to successfully run my own business. I have plenty of learning to do, but am contemplating a dive into the business full time (with an emphasis on landscaping) next spring which would give me the winter for classes, seminars, trainings, etc. I have been reading posts on this site for months and have already learned a ton...

I live in a rural community and know my community alone will not support my business, but a 30-mile radius from me is a pretty good population. I know the small communities are not big money communities by any means, but I think the jobs are out there to get if I do things right.

I am wondering if any of you have strong feelings or advice for me about making this business work in Iowa given I am not in a large community. Others have told me I have no chance without being in a city because the money is not there, which I can understand, but I am not talking about starting off making $50k plus profit for the business. I think I can survive with modest pay the first couple years with hopes of growing...

I appreciate any comments...thanks!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Iowa City

I am in Iowa City and just started my company last month as a part timer. GSP, I'm not sure I would be trying this if I still lived in a rural area and for sure not full time. Also, I mostly do mowing with a side of lawn care. I understand landscaping pays much more per job and if you have newer constuction in your area you should be able to stay busy if you get your business name out there. The guys around here are so busy I have had no problem getting started even in the fall. If you do your research in the area as to what your base will be and include the existing companies and your travel expenses maybe you can do it. Lots of great info on this site... Good luck!