Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-05-2004, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tiedeman: are you up near Houghton? I think that's you. I also think you're in for a lot of snow this week........have fun!
Old 01-06-2004, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Expert, are you talking about Houghton in the UP or are you talking about Houghton Lake? If you are talking about Houghton Lake I am about 30 miles south of that. We ended up getting about 3 to 4 inches of snow.

How about yourself?
Old 01-06-2004, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the Clarkston area and they made the last snow storm sound like we were getting a lot. In fact, all we got was an inch and a half or so
Old 01-06-2004, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tiedman - yea, i was talking about HOughton Lake. are you from Claire? I think I remember you saying that.

Moguy - I'm just north of you in Flint, but my dad lives in White Lake. You're right, they made it sound like we were in for quite the blizzard. I think we saw 3 inches here
Old 01-06-2004, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love Clarkston, my brother lives in Troy and so my wife and I always stopped there.

Supposed to be another front coming in on Sunday
Old 01-06-2004, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Expert, yup live in Clare
Old 01-10-2004, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

so what is everyones 2004 goals in Michigan? What new services are you going to offer and not offfer? Why?

Just give me your thoughts on the upcoming season.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Personally, I bought a lot of new equipment last year, so I hope to not do that this year and just make some $$. As always, I hope to make more money and do less work. And although rain is always welcome to keep things growing, I hope it is more manageable this year so I'm not so damned far behind all the time. No droughts, though.

I am still undecided whether or not to stay the same size or hire a part timer and grow a little bit.

Rates will be raising for most of my customers as well this season. And I'm going to try to go to a season price, and charge over 7 months for most my customers.

Anyone have leaf work they never finished? I have a couple I didn't get to because of the snow. I guess it'll have to get done this spring.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I plan to focus on selling more services this year. I did the mow blow and go's for the last 3. Time to move on. I'm almost full time and a solo opp. I would love to expand (slowly), so this year I am either going to let customers choose what services they want, then work out a 9 month billing plan with them, or offer 3 different programs: regular mowing, enhanced program, and full service. This will include everything except fert. I don't fert. Any thoughts or suggestion on which way I should go?

Tiedman - Clarkston is great, we go bar hoppin' there all the time. Mr. B's is our stomping grounds.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Expert,
I offer my customers 3 different types of packages; basic, gold, and platinum. They sign up early and then I promise them that they won't be hassled throughout the season by me trying to sell them additional services. They love it. The flat monthly billing I only use for winter time. I am scared to use it during the mowing season because I don't want to screw myself. The reason that I use it during the winter months is for I have a guaranteed income coming in every month.

This year I am going to try to sell huge amounts of aeration and tree fertilization. This is going to be a scary year for economy and the business because of the presidential elections. I am finding it had to find workers that want to stick around and actually work. Too many of them just want to earn a quick buck and not have to put forth any hard labor.

Tags
alternative landscaping