Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-11-2004, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i hear ya tiedman. thanks for that post dude. right now i am workign out the wording in my contract, revising my service guide, and figuring the best way to sell new services, maximize profit, but keep everyone happy. it's getting difficult.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Who mows in West Bloomfield/Waterford/Commerce/White lake area?
Old 01-12-2004, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by bizkit04
Who mows in West Bloomfield/Waterford/Commerce/White lake area?
Speaking of Boomfield, my barber up here in Clare tells me of a supplier down there called "Sullivan." Have you heard or used them before and what are the prices and results like if you have used them?
Old 01-12-2004, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

by the way, welcome to the site
Old 01-12-2004, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
I plan to focus on selling more services this year. I did the mow blow and go's for the last 3. Time to move on. I'm almost full time and a solo opp. I would love to expand (slowly), so this year I am either going to let customers choose what services they want, then work out a 9 month billing plan with them, or offer 3 different programs: regular mowing, enhanced program, and full service. This will include everything except fert. I don't fert. Any thoughts or suggestion on which way I should go?

Tiedman - Clarkston is great, we go bar hoppin' there all the time. Mr. B's is our stomping grounds.
What kind of extra services are you going to push for? Are you going to do more landscaping? I am mostly just mow and go as well, and I'm not interested in doing ferts anytime in the future. But I've been wondering if offering some landscaping and other maintenance would be worth it. I'm also undecided on bringing back bush trimming this year, as much as I hate it.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mtd,
I am thinking of doing away with landscaping installation. I know that everybody tells me that is where the money is at, but I look around every year and ask, "WHERE?"
It puts a strain on my crews because I have to constantly pull one or two guys from lawn care and have them help out with the installation. I always get backed up when it comes to landscaping projects, because so few happen during the year I can't see hiring on people for about a total of only 2 months of work, and then letting them go. Plus, I noticed that there is more down time in installation than mowing. Like the guys could be standing around 15 to 30 mins waiting for something, while mowing they are working more.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Nope, havent used them or heard of them before... Although, the actual JThomas brick-and-mortar store is less than a mile from my house

thanks!
Old 01-12-2004, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I love Mr. B's!
Old 01-12-2004, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow the Waterford/White Lake/Clarkston area. Pretty close to what cha is askin about.

EDIT: My supplier is Weingartz (www.weingartz.com) who gets their parts from X-SELL. Also get a few parts from "the cutters edge" less than 1/2 a mile away from Weingartz on Dixie Hwy.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Loren - I like Weingartz as well. Good prices and helpful staff.

MTD - My added services this year will include hedge trimming, aerating, dethatching, seeding, and edging. I have done edging in the past but havent' charged for it. I will be pushing it a bit more this year and charging accordingly.

Bizkit - welcome to the site man. yea, Mr. B's rocks

Tags
alternative landscaping