Originally Posted by LawncareAmericaLLC View Post
HELL i pay my customers to cut there grass. LOL
you can have all my accounts.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about i give you mine and ill take yours. Lol
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

If I cut your grass I'll clean your gutters for free. or mulch yard for 25 a yard.lol
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL I see quite a few posts got deleted again. Boy, I leave to go to Wiengartz and miss all the fun. Deservedly so - I guess I probably started it all.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bringing this up is probably going to strike a nerve with some of you, but its something I have observed. One of those craigslist post was some "construction company" advertising for lawn care and landscaping. I see this is quite becoming somewhat common, as most construction work has all but dried up, they seem to want a piece of the lawn & landscape pie.

Now before you get all bent out of shape and try to tell me that "they're just trying to get by, ect, ect;" here is a story. A construction company gets the contract for a decent sized commercial project. As part of the proposal, the demo, new building, site work, landscaping was all part of the bid. The original plan was that the landscaping would be bid out and sub-contracted. However, when the time came, "things were slow" so they decided to put a few of their own guys on the landscaping. Now, let me tell you, this was probably one of the most god awful jobs I have seen. They had obviously no knowledge of design principles, plant material, or installation processes. A few examples: Ornamental grasses that will reach a height of 6' planted right in front of a sign that is 4' tall, no edging material or bed edge defined at all, mulch was just thrown on top of the grass. Plants placed where it made no sense, and improperly spaced. The list could go on. This was a real shame, because this was beautiful new commercial building, with the biggest hack job for landscaping.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Procut, I have also seen a lot of construction companies doing stuff, I have similar thoughts. I guess I cant blame them, it's just frustrating for those of us who started with this and are trying to stick with this.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys dont you know its only going to get worse. Its seems like everone is in the lawn buisness now. Ive seen 60yr old men driving a no name truck with a 10footer full of equipment
Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

that's what happens when people are out of a job.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawncareAmericaLLC View Post
Hey guys dont you know its only going to get worse. Its seems like everone is in the lawn buisness now. Ive seen 60yr old men driving a no name truck with a 10footer full of equipment
And their wives are starting at Mickey D's, at a time when they both thought they'd be retiring and living off their investments and pensions. It is hard to understand how big this issue is and how bad it will get. Sometimes I feel like getting upset at all these new start ups...and a lot of plain old fu@$ ups making us look like frauds and gougers. For the most part I've come to peace with the new LCO's and the clients cutting out our services, knowing that I might do the same if I were in their shoes. Other times I just let my tourrettes (sp) syndrome loose cause it makes me feel better.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Member

well what hits a nerve with me, is I.ll cut any size yard for 10.00 and lay mulch for 25 a yard. then they decide they cant make any money stop doing this. and customers think we all can do this (we have taxes ins gas etc.)

Tags
alternative landscaping