Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out the local ads running around the Tri City area. It's getting ugly and people are very desperate for $. I couldn't be happier with my return customers and the newly added ones. Had to step up the advertising and get more creative this year. Its early but making adjustments to survive, maintain or hopefully grow.

Just a few ads from craigslist and other local internet sites.

"My name is XXXX and I'm a 17 year old student looking for any kind of work I can get. I have experience in bookkeeping for XXXXX Autoshop and also worked in fast food for a few months. I'm reliable and will do almost anything -- animal, lawn, child or home care and even limited computer jobs. I'm in desperate need of cash will take as low as $5 a job. I'm 8 months pregnant though and can't do heavy lifting. Please contact me at XXXXXXXXXX if you are interested. Thank you."

"We do anything to make your yard look the BEST.You get the material we do what ever you want PERFECT. F.Y.I - we are 16 year old but very good workers(Look on XXXXX St. if you would like, it is very nice landscaping). We are here to HELP senior citizens with their out side yard work. I got a truck so we can travel where ever. So give me a call and we will be their as soon as possible."

"PAINTING-HOME REPAIR-LAWN CARE-HANDYMAN SERVICES :-)
OVER 25 YRS. EXPERIENCE PAINTING. Very Low rates I will beat any written estimate, Senior discount, Disabled discounts,Single parent discounts. I WILL DO TOP QUALITY-CUSTOM WORK,at about 50% the price, of the guys in the "Yellow Pages"!Free Estimates, Get your house in A-1 shape, for the summer! I can make any house go from looking like the worse on the block, to the best house on the block."

"Looking to have your lawn mowed for a cheep?Yard cleaned up?Maybe moving into a house that needs cleaned up?Junk removed from yard?Need help moving?We have done lawnscaping,some construction experience,demolition and clean up.There is 2 of us we work as a team. "

Time to head to the cabin after I do a mulch job and cut a few on Sat morning if it doesn't rain.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Saw a good example of "desperate times" today first hand. Last year we were mowing a Johnson Controls building in Plymouth, and once the Chrysler thing hit this spring, the management company basically said they were going to cut back and maybe do it themselves.

I was out there cleaning up a few things today and the CEO of the management company was out on a mower mowing the place. He had his new Eddie Bauer Expedition, snowmobile trailer, and a few mowers, whips, blowers, etc. I've never seen the guy out of khakis before, and now he's in a tank top and shorts trying to keep busy. Looks like he started his own lawn biz to take care of the properties he manages. He still wants us to trim the place though, I guess that's too much work... lol.

Honestly though, it's sad that things are like this. Lets hope they get better soon.

Lawn Pro - Complete Lawn and Landscape Care
www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 05-23-2009, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M and S Lawn Care View Post
Saw a good example of "desperate times" today first hand. Last year we were mowing a Johnson Controls building in Plymouth, and once the Chrysler thing hit this spring, the management company basically said they were going to cut back and maybe do it themselves.

I was out there cleaning up a few things today and the CEO of the management company was out on a mower mowing the place. He had his new Eddie Bauer Expedition, snowmobile trailer, and a few mowers, whips, blowers, etc. I've never seen the guy out of khakis before, and now he's in a tank top and shorts trying to keep busy. Looks like he started his own lawn biz to take care of the properties he manages. He still wants us to trim the place though, I guess that's too much work... lol.

Honestly though, it's sad that things are like this. Lets hope they get better soon.
I'd like to think things will get better soon, but when GM hits bankruptcy I think the true cutbacks and desperation will begin. I hope I'm wrong...but I never have been one to believe or rely on "hope and change".
Old 05-24-2009, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys looked at the weather and there calling for rain tues, wed, and thursday of this week so whos going cutting on Monday???
2010 Enclosed 8.5x20 Trailer
And everything else that goes along with a lawn and landscape operation
Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson's Landscaping View Post
Hey guys looked at the weather and there calling for rain tues, wed, and thursday of this week so whos going cutting on Monday???
I was going to ask the same thing, I hate to get beheind 3 or 4 days

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcondon View Post
I was going to ask the same thing, I hate to get beheind 3 or 4 days
I wouldn't think about cutting an occupied home on the holiday. Commercials who cares go for it. We have some hedge trimming to do already at a few commercials, thats what we will be up too!
It was great to be done for the week yesterday, finished a church even had time for a few bs jobs other than grass yesterday.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No residentials on monday, clients would have a canary. Maybe some open feilds or small commercail but half a day. BBQ, BEER & FAMILY the rest of the afternoon. Have a great monday.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great - Memorial Day and three days of rain this week, we're screwed again. Well, at least it was nice to get one week in where things weren't f....ked up because of rain. This blows.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its only gonna rain on Wed.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternative View Post
Its only gonna rain on Wed.
Our schedules are packed so tight that we don't have a flex day. If we lose a day to rain, we're working on Sat. We already lost our "rain day" to Memorial Day this week. So, we're working Sat as it is already. If we lose another day to rain, we'll be working Sunday - and crossing our fingers that we can get it all done.

Last week we finished at 8pm on Friday.... kinda scary.

Tags
alternative landscaping