Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawnboss View Post
The thing is, there will never be a standard in this line of work. even if EVERY guy on here decided, 100 a hour is the new "standard" what about the 1000's of guys that are not on here that do not agree. There are just too many businesses to get everyone on the same page.

I guess i look at this all a bit different than many people do. If i do lose a job to someone cheaper, good for them, obviously they do not have the overhead cost that i do. If i have to make 60 an hour to break even, and they have to make 30 just to break even, why do i assume they are doing something wrong?

I have my standard prices, i dont go in and undercut others prices, in fact, if i know someone has a company servicing their lawn, i dont even talk to them. I am a solo guy, take pride in my work, and work seems to come to me. Not saying i am the best by any means, i just take pride, and charge a decent price.

There is a place for those guys that mow for 15 bucks, maybe some people that can only afford that much. Those people care about price, not quality. Just dont go after those people.

hope everyone is having a good year so far.
Good point, but you wont be solo as you build your buisness at somepoint you are going to have more overhead and have to charge higher prices to compensate for the extra payload.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is Lawn Pro's new way to save gas, equipment, maintenance, and cut overhead. Who needs trailers? Just need to mount some gas-struts and a latch system to keep it up. $270.00 worth of metal and half a days work. Folds in the middle and looks pretty darn good.

On Thursdays and Fridays when we mow, we have 3 guys in a truck with a trailer and one 60", then two others in a truck with a 52". There's no longer any point in hauling a 12' and 18' trailer around. We are likely going to do this to another truck and only use the trailer for big stuff. Eventually they will get flat-beds.... maybe we need some beefier trucks first.

Lawn Pro - Complete Lawn and Landscape Care
www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^Is this a joke or are you being serious?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That picture was taken of me a few hours ago behind my shop. Yes, it's "weird" but we think it will be great and very cost effective. Like I said, we have a nice, 1 year old 18" landscape trailer, but there's no point in pulling it around full of equipment when we're only using the one mower, two whips, an edger, and some blowers. See Midwest lately? They just have a big version of this with the flat-nosed trucks (whatever they are) most of the residential crews that I have seen only carry one 60" and a rack full of two-stroke equipment. They're onto something, and so are we. Another company right down the road from us uses box trucks with similar ramps. We just cant afford box trucks.

www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think its clever, I just didn't think it would work because I didn't think the deck on the ZTR would fit between the fenders of the truck. How did you handle that?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Slight modification. (Notice I''m not in the truck yet)

Long story short, the wheel wells are way taller than they need to be. The axle will be bottomed on the frame before it ever reaches the top, plus I have Timbren's on the rear axle of that truck to help with weight/sag. I am going to notch out the wheel wells so they're about 4" tall and then weld some new sheet metal in there so it's not open. I'll post pics later tomorrow after it's done. That way the deck will ride over the wells.

Like I said, we're hoping to make flat-beds some day on some 2500's and put 60's up there. For now we'll stick with the 52".

www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

........... double posted..........

www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 06-08-2009, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

wow thats kinda hack-ish
Old 06-08-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you're kind of hack-ish. thanks.

you never have anything positive to say.

www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by procut View Post
^Is this a joke or are you being serious?
if some one has to ask that dont you think you may want to re think it? what do you think is going to go through a home owners mind when they see this? despite what you belive many care about the professional image your company portrays and that just isnt a very professional way to do things.

let me tell you a little bed time story.

i worked for a commercial refrigeration company for two years out of high school. one day i needed to haul a big roof top unit down to a big church over by the corner of m59 and Rochester road. so i pick it up and set it in the back of the pickup, well it had to sit up on one wheel well so i t was kinda crooked and you could just tell it was a load for the truck. well my boss jim says look you and i both know that unit isnt going to fly out and we both know that truck can safely haul that but we run a professional company here and some times our professionalism is judged on looks alone. that doesn't look good so lets pull it out and strap it down to a trailer.

at the time i was just pissedrightoff because i thought i knew better, well fast forward a year or two and old jim knew what he was talking about. does it work? yeah. does it make you look like sanford and sons? yeah.

comparing that set up to a npr truck or a cube truck is like comparing hill billy joe's scrapin rig of a old f-150 pullin a snowmobile trailer piled high with rusty iron to a shinny roll off bin truck.

Tags
alternative landscaping