Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
if some one has to ask that dont you think you may want to re think it? what do you think is going to go through a home owners mind when they see this? despite what you belive many care about the professional image your company portrays and that just isnt a very professional way to do things.

I understand what you are saying. Looks are big. I know you have a lot of nice, new equipment, etc etc. We're working on it. This truck is in good shape, close to no rust on the body, no dents, etc. It's respectable, even though it's a '99 F-150 with 150K on it.

I think once the ramp is painted black, the shocks are installed, the latch system is in place, it will look like a professional, well built "rig" It's not held together with duct tape, bungee cords, and zip-ties. It's TIG welded and looks to be of high-quality.

As for customers thoughts, for one, I don't think anyone pays attention to how we get equipment to their homes. They dont want crap sitting in front of their house, but this wont look like crap. It will just be different. If they happen to be home and see this, like I said, it will be quick, efficient, and look good. If I were watching, I'd think "These guys got this down to a science" I'd rather see this in front of my house than a F350 with a 22' trailer, 4 mowers, only one of which is being used. I'd think that's a waste of $$.

When my partner was building his house last year, the dozer guy pulled up to the house with a "flat-bed semi". No trailer and the thing was only 30' long from front to back. The bed tilted and he had the thing unloaded in under five minutes. And once he was done, he had the truck out of the dead-end street in no time. If he had a 30' trailer, ramps, etc, it would have taken him four times as long.

Now, If I were doing a 15 acre property, I would not roll up in three trucks with three mowers. I would load up the trailer. But the truth is all of our stuff this year is "residential-sized", unfortunately. Due to the big three sucking, budgets were cut back and stuff is getting done in house. Since we unload, mow, and load up 30+ times per day, I think this will be great. I could be wrong, but time will tell.

Like I said at first, this will also save $$, which is important, especially with how things are now. I already got rid of one trailer and our other one wont get used nearly as much. I'll probably get at least 5 MPG more without them, and it's less for guys to think about while driving.

Last but not least, no one does this, except for Midwest out of Novi. Everyone has pickups and trailers. People might notice this and look at our trucks for long enough to get our name in their head.

Time will tell..

Lawn Pro - Complete Lawn and Landscape Care
www.LawnProOutdoor.com

Last edited by M and S Lawn Care; 06-08-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i see your point you see mine fair enough. there is a old big thread on here somewhere where a guy put a flat bed on a 2500hd, may want to look for it for ideas.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
i see your point you see mine fair enough. there is a old big thread on here somewhere where a guy put a flat bed on a 2500hd, may want to look for it for ideas.
Yes, fair enough. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not saying I'm 100% right either. I'd love to have the $$ for much nicer stuff, but I think this will work well for our needs for the time being. We'll see this week, huh?

www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

MandS surely isn't the firstone who has done this with a pickup, and sure won't be the last. If it works, it works. A few sideracks of some sort, to hold all the other stuff, and he'll be all set (that is,...until you have some fallen limbs or debris to haul away).
One thing that really has ME wondering though is, it was stated that you send a 60" mower out with three guys in the truck. What does the 3rd guy do??? Because if your answer is to help on trimming,you're throwing money out the window. You are having alot of "stand around" time. Now,..if it were the other way around,...2 60's and one trimmer guy, (with an extra trimmer loaded to help now and again), I could see it. But for the most part,...it should only take 1 trimmer to keep up with a 60, regardless if there is some push mowing done, or not.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M and S Lawn Care View Post

Like I said at first, this will also save $$, which is important, especially with how things are now. I already got rid of one trailer and our other one wont get used nearly as much. I'll probably get at least 5 MPG more without them, and it's less for guys to think about while driving.

Last but not least, no one does this, except for Midwest out of Novi. Everyone has pickups and trailers. People might notice this and look at our trucks for long enough to get our name in their head.

Time will tell..
Speaking of getting rid of trailers...I may be in the market for a quick buy (before Saturday) depending on a large contract about to be settled. If we get it I'd prefer to use one larger trailer, I'm thinking an open 18'. Needs to accommodate 1x 72" & 1x 52" ZTR and 2x 36" WB's preferably with racks.

And on topic...I think if nothing else M&S has an interesting idea. I'm not going to search for the mentioned "other pickup thread" but if I remember correctly it was some young shmuck that did it on a 1/4 ton p/u. Good luck. Let us all know how it works out.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
MandS surely isn't the firstone who has done this with a pickup, and sure won't be the last. If it works, it works. A few sideracks of some sort, to hold all the other stuff, and he'll be all set (that is,...until you have some fallen limbs or debris to haul away).
One thing that really has ME wondering though is, it was stated that you send a 60" mower out with three guys in the truck. What does the 3rd guy do??? Because if your answer is to help on trimming,you're throwing money out the window. You are having alot of "stand around" time. Now,..if it were the other way around,...2 60's and one trimmer guy, (with an extra trimmer loaded to help now and again), I could see it. But for the most part,...it should only take 1 trimmer to keep up with a 60, regardless if there is some push mowing done, or not.
Part of the reason for this is that my partner who does most of the mowing had knee surgery this spring and cant do much trimming or blowing, so he cant just jump off the mower and keep working without his knee hurting. This way he can stay on the mower, one guy trims, one guy edges and starts blowing the front yard while the other two are mowing/trimming the back, and they all finish around the same time. I agree, it might be a little bit of wasted time, but for the most part it works.

www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Member

What happens when the truck breaks down? You dont work that day? At least with a trailer if a truck goes down, you can hook another truck to the trailer and you are off and running again.
1985 GMC Stake Truck w/ Boss Plow
2008 8x16 Wells Cargo Enclosed
2001 8.5x20 Timberwolf Enclosed
2008 Bad Boy 60" Mower
2010 Toro 48" ztr
2007 Gravely 34 Walkbehind
2006 Bobcat 48" Hydro with velkie
Many Blowers
Many Whips
All kinds of hand tools
Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

M&S Looks like it will work out all right when a few things get tweaked there. The only thing I worry about is you said that is an F-150, with three guys plus equipment it sounds like you are pushing the weight limit.

Ive often thought about a dedicated van with a walkbehind inside. I always thought the pickup truck with a trailer looked bad.
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Time Outdoor Serv View Post
What happens when the truck breaks down? You dont work that day? At least with a trailer if a truck goes down, you can hook another truck to the trailer and you are off and running again.
Fords don't break down. Lol.

I'll still have the trailer if needed. For now this is going to be the truck that I use with my other guy. We do the stuff that is spread out and further away than most of the other stuff. I'll still be using the trailer full-time with the other truck/crew.

www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so my question is....
Where do you put your ramps at after the machine, and all of the whips, edgers, and blowers are all loaded?

Tags
alternative landscaping