Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

The rain today was both good and bad. I have alot of jobs that needed it as far as mowing is concerned but I also had work to do today. My bother and I have a track job that we stared yesterday. We are building a r/c track for a club up in clio and needless to say the rain slowed us down. Rain and clay dont get along As long as it's dry tomorrow we'll get it done !!!

, shaun
Old 08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykelley View Post
You will love it, hard to hurt them and hard to buy used.

Mike
I found a trac vac on craigslist on friday night...went right after work(like 10 at night. lol) to get it because i know how fast they sell. Single can, 6.5hp ohv briggs..everything included-tubes,can,chute for the mower deck...all for 600 bucks in excellent condition. All i have to do is fabricate/weld brackets for my Scag Cub. Clean-ups will be much easier this year...the past 3yr's ive used one of those metal catchers that hangs off the deck..what a P.I.T.A.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Hornets

So has anyone had to deal with hornets? I haven't had a run in for close to 13 years. Then 3 weeks ago we were doing a trim job, finished, taking pictures and saw a huge hornets' nest right above some of the boxwoods we were trimming in a large spruce tree. I sent the homeowner an e-mail and a pic. He was grateful and they sprayed the piss out of the nest at night from a car.
Last Thursday I was mowing a church and out of nowhere, not sure if the nest was in one of the bushes or the ground, I was instantly swarmed. I got some pretty nasty bites on my head, neck and face (one left me with some major muscle pain in my neck all weekend).
I returned to that customer's house today to remove a tree that fell in last night's storm. Talking with the homeowner about the hornets we walked to the tree to discuss how to remove the nest. As we were talking I saw things flying around but not anywhere near the nest so I investigated further and found another, larger nest up a bit higher and back further into the tree.

So is it just me or are they more active this year?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,
I know it might be a bit early for some of you, but I figured I would put this out there for. I am (as of right now) able to deliver salt for $75/ton plus delivery. If this sparks anyones interest, please email me at brian@alloroutdoorservices.com.
A $20/per ton deposit is taken, with the remainder due 24 hours prior to scheduled delivery. Most deliveries can be made within 7 days.

If interested, shoot me an email.
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does any one work with the Genesee County Land Bank?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnVet View Post
So has anyone had to deal with hornets? I haven't had a run in for close to 13 years. Then 3 weeks ago we were doing a trim job, finished, taking pictures and saw a huge hornets' nest right above some of the boxwoods we were trimming in a large spruce tree. I sent the homeowner an e-mail and a pic. He was grateful and they sprayed the piss out of the nest at night from a car.
Last Thursday I was mowing a church and out of nowhere, not sure if the nest was in one of the bushes or the ground, I was instantly swarmed. I got some pretty nasty bites on my head, neck and face (one left me with some major muscle pain in my neck all weekend).
I returned to that customer's house today to remove a tree that fell in last night's storm. Talking with the homeowner about the hornets we walked to the tree to discuss how to remove the nest. As we were talking I saw things flying around but not anywhere near the nest so I investigated further and found another, larger nest up a bit higher and back further into the tree.

I have noticed this too. The wasp and bee population seems like it is way up. My other crew leader has had all kinds of encounters with them this year. I have been stung and I just came across a pretty big wasp nest last week. Call me stupid, but I couldn't help but throw a rock at it and run when I was done (property is vacant).
Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnVet View Post

last thursday I was trimming a hedgerow and I got swarmed by a bunch of smaller black bees or something. needless to say I dropped my hedge trimmer and ran like I little girl lol. I'm not sure what they were but they did not look freindly and I wasn't trying to get too close of a look
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

got stung today too ...darn bee 's
Old 08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIXRAY View Post
Does any one work with the Genesee County Land Bank?
I've done work for them in the past. It was either through the green and clean program or the weed and seed,...as well as a bunch of work down in the east side of Flint clearing old lots. The clearing of lots was done through a friend of mine who was hooked up through the land bank and was funded through the Mott foundation somehow.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking to pick up either a 60" or 72" Landscape/York rake. If anyone has one their looking to sell, send me a PM. Thanks!

Tags
alternative landscaping