Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-21-2004, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Saposidly we are saposed to get a good aomunt tomarow night and in to thursday morning.
As far as leaves go when we worked landscaping we took all our compost and such to Onyx. Onyx is the dump they used to be BFI before they got bought out. they are located on 6 mile and Napier road in salme township. Just east of beck road, you can take m-14 to beck then up to 5 mile go west on five mile past ridge over the railroad tracks and the next street is Napier. Turn right on Napier and you are there. can't miss it. This is also where we now get all of our wholesale mulch.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yup thats right....between the 2 leaf loading trucks that i run durring the fall im there about everyday or every other day..

there pretty resonable....i pay a flat rate of $30.00 per ton and normally have about 3 tons in my dump truck and about 1.5 tons in my pick-up..

as for snow goes Cam hit it on the money...we have salted most locations about 8 times....although my biggest accounts i have salted 13 times so far.

Eric Estes
Five Star Lawn Care LLC
Old 12-22-2004, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric,
Let me know if you need any help, for this coming snow storm. (or at least that is what the weath guy said.) I never trust them any more!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what the weather people are saying... (If you choose to belive them)

.../X.NEW.KDTX.WS.A.0004.041222T2300Z-041223T2300Z/ GENESEE MI-LAPEER MI-LENAWEE MI-LIVINGSTON MI-MACOMB MI-MONROE MI- OAKLAND MI-TUSCOLA MI-WASHTENAW MI-WAYNE MI- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ADRIAN... ANN ARBOR... CARO... DOWNTOWN DETROIT... FLINT... HOWELL... LAPEER... MONROE... MOUNT CLEMENS AND PONTIAC 953 PM EST TUE DEC 21 2004

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING TO THURSDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC MI HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH.

SNOW WILL SPREAD INTO THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES AFTER MIDNIGHT. THIS SNOW... HEAVY AT TIMES... WILL PERSIST INTO THURSDAY MORNING... BEFORE TAPERING OFF TO LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS DURING THE AFTERNOON. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 8 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE. IN ADDITION... NORTH WINDS WILL GUST TO 30 MPH OR MORE ON THURSDAY AND PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW... AS WELL AS WIND CHILLS BELOW ZERO BY AFTERNOON.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know who or what to believe anymore when it comes to the weather. They were calling for a huge storm on Tues night that never happened.

According to the channel 4 guy, it all depends on where the storm goes. He said it could go past us and not hit at all, or hit right on top and dump 6 or so inches. I say bring it on, I've got nothing to do!

Old 12-22-2004, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

heck we were supposed to get snow all this week, but now it looks like mostly only a dusting everyday of 1/2 inch or less
Old 12-22-2004, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It was pretty warm today, a lot warmer than yesterday, and I was bored around the house so I went to the storage unit and pulled all my equipment out, started it all up, greased things up, etc. Just screwing around. It was cool, and made me realize how much I want to get back to work. Usually this time of year I'm glad to have the time off, but this year for some reason I just want to get back in to it.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you mean. I can't wait to get started back up. I am actually thinking about getting a ZTR, but haven't made up my mind yet if YES I am going to get one, and what brand. I have been looking a Exmark, Scag, Grasshopper, Toro, and Ferris
Old 12-22-2004, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

guys, thanks for the leaf dump site information. i really appreaciate it. it will really help me when the fall comes around.

i dont believe the weather guys (dont watch them anyway) anymore. I just look on the weather channel and see what the radar shows and go by it.

what do you guys use as far as accounting software - quicken, quickbooks, microsoft money.....???

I know that many people use Quickbooks. If any of you use it, how did you learn to use it? There is depreciation, assets, selling of assets, transfer between personal and business accounts, etc, etc....

I mean, my accountant gave me a copy of Quickbooks for a free trial, and i am totaly overwhelmed of how much stuff it has and how complicated it looks.
I dont have an accounting background, so i am totaly lost.

How did you guys learn it? Did you read the manual (which is like a brick)? Did someone show you how to use it?

I am getting ready to post the same kind of question in the comm lawn care section, so you might see this twice.

thanks a lot.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use Quickbooks strictly for invoicing. In fact, I just received my 2005 update in the mail today

Tags
alternative landscaping