Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-22-2004, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Troy, how do you keep track of your expenses, assets, equipment depreciation? You must use something else for those things, right?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

george, you can go to uni-dig on Quinn Road between harper and gratiot, between 14 and 15mile. They charge $10 for 6ft, and $15 for 8ft, thats just for grass, its more if you have brush/concrete/sod/etc.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks, Mark. is that by a Home Depot and a Meijer? by Royal Oak?

What kind of accounting software do you use?
Old 12-22-2004, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz
Thanks, Mark. is that by a Home Depot and a Meijer? by Royal Oak?

What kind of accounting software do you use?
not really, its in Clinton TWP. You can take i-94 to metro parkway, and take that to gratiot and take that to quinn, or take 94 to 13 and gratiot... where are you located? I can probably help ya. Its really close and convient for me. Im by 8-9 mile an 94, so it only takes me 5-10 min's to get their...

For invoiceing I have invoice slips I had the print shop make. I cut his lawn for a month and he gave me 500 for free, I also cut his lawn for a month and he gave me 1000 free business cards. His lawn is about 3k sq ft so it only takes like 6minutes if that.

For record keeping I just use paper and pen, or excel. My step mom is an accountant so shes been showing me on excel how to do everything. And when tax time comes, my dad will show me.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thanks, mark. i am in Livonia, so that would be pretty far for me. But if i ever do anything in that area, i will keep it in mind. thanks a lot, though.

you are still in high school?
Old 12-22-2004, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz
thanks, mark. i am in Livonia, so that would be pretty far for me. But if i ever do anything in that area, i will keep it in mind. thanks a lot, though.

you are still in high school?
Yep, Junior In HS. One more year and im off to MSU, Central, or Purdue. Going to get a major in Business and Minor in something with horticulture!

Im one of the very rare teenagers you find these days, which are the Very Ambitious ones.
Most teens around here live off mommy and daddys money and car, smoke dope all the time, and get drunk alot.
Im proud to make my own money, own my own sucessful business, and doing so by being 16. Although, I had to put it in my dads name, because you have to be 18 to get a LLC co. and same thing for insurance. But Ya, its all mine, execpt in fathers name, march of 06 itll be in my name I did have it called Premier Landscaping, but a few weeks back I changed it to Mark's Premier Landscaping and I got it LLCed.

Have a safe and happy holiday season....
Old 12-22-2004, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

very good mark. keep up the good work. you have already found out a lot of things about life at 16 what many people have not in their 30's...

dont let the grass cutting influence your major in college. Horticulture is probably a good major, but outside of the lawncare indusrtry, it's useless. If you want to be an engineer or a lawyer, go for it. you can always cut grass on the side if it sparks your interest. that's what i did. never in a million years thought that i'd cut grass after college. but i am glad i get $200-$400 extra each month in the summer.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dont nessarily like the lawncare business, but I love the landscaping business, and the lawncare part is basically free advertising for landscapeing and pays the bills, whereas Landscaping is where alot of the profit is. Hopefully, after I graduate, I want to keep the lawn and landscaping business, hopefully have like 3 to 4 crews. then 5 years after that open up a construction company doing house remodels and building homes, then a few years after that open up a concrete company, then after that a roofing company. I'd own like 5 different Companys. LOL.

I'll have a business of Jack or all Trades.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

since you will be staying in the professional services area, i dont know why you will even bother to go to college (since you know what you will be doing). you can take a few seminars, a few classes in a comm college and start everything up. i have taken business classes in college....complete waste of time. they will not help you in your business. they are tailored more toward a corporate structure.....

if you chose to go, dont waste your money on Purdue. you can get a business degree at Wayne state. you think your employees will ask you where you went to school? doubt it.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use QB for all my stuff. As far as learning how to do everything, I just followed the tutorial. I used the book for reference. An important thing to keep in mind is you don't have to use all the features it offers, you can turn things off and customize it to your preferences. I use it mostly to just keep track of customer accounts and billing.

Tags
alternative landscaping