Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will be redoing my contracts next year with something in there for excessive growth. Tired of losing money on this crap. Someone actually asked if I could cut their lawn once a month. Number one it would be cheaper for them to do it oncd a week with this stuff. Number two im not going to show up at a house once a month with the my truck and logo being seen by all the neighbors. I would never get a lawn on that street if that were the case just because of the bad impressions it leaves
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookline View Post
I will be redoing my contracts next year with something in there for excessive growth. Tired of losing money on this crap. Someone actually asked if I could cut their lawn once a month. Number one it would be cheaper for them to do it oncd a week with this stuff. Number two im not going to show up at a house once a month with the my truck and logo being seen by all the neighbors. I would never get a lawn on that street if that were the case just because of the bad impressions it leaves
Posted via Mobile Device
Hell yeah! Grass Is L-O-N-G!!! I hate it because all that means is its going to be wet and even longer so we'll have to cut it 2 or even 3 times! (thats when the 10+ years cutting for the same customer comes in handy! You know what you can get away with and what you cant!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson's Landscaping View Post
All the weather gussers are saying 2-4" more of rain...in the next 36hrs, even if things were to stop by friday morning it's still going to be to wet to cut. We've got standing water on many of our yards as it was last week. Who else is thinking of calling customers tomorrow and having a little talk to make sure they understand our condition's?
The Clueless Ones will Call And B**** about how their grass isnt cut. But oh well! Anyone working monday??
Looks like we'll be cutting... Everyone wants that great looking lawn for memorial day!

lets stop complaining about the rain.......Not everyone hates it!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok - so cancel all those weekend plans, no bbqs, no cook-outs, no day off, no time with the family. You got grass to cut.....this is what separates the men from the boys. So, put your big girl panties on and pack some extra tampons in the truck and get to work...... or else, I'm gonna take your accounts from ya. LOL
Old 05-25-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

No need to worry about you getting some of my work becasue the cheap guys already took it ! Maybe after all this mess I can get it back. I don't care about alot of the work but it's the ones that we have had for a long time. We lost work that we have had for 9 years. Long term customers can be the hardest to please. It's funny how after years of good service some of them forget how good you actually are and how bad their previous guys were. A tough season like this is not all bad , it's just like a bad winter. It can weed out alot of the guys just trying to make a quick easy buck. I do need it to stop raining though. My brother and I have to finish our r/c track for a big race on the 4th of june. We still have 500 yards of clay to move, rake, and compact. Rain doesn't work well with that clay

, shaun
Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok question, Im getting killed on sod install prices by a company that sprays some weed killer on the lawn and I believe just slaps the new sod on top. How is that helping the old soil? Still has bad soil and now they added lawn killer on top, im sure its cheaper than my way of removing the old lawn and bringing in new good amended soil then sodding on top of that. Am I just too old school here or is this as bad an idea as it seems? And what exactly are they using? It looks orange on the lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pallas View Post
Ok - so cancel all those weekend plans, no bbqs, no cook-outs, no day off, no time with the family. You got grass to cut.....this is what separates the men from the boys. So, put your big girl panties on and pack some extra tampons in the truck and get to work...... or else, I'm gonna take your accounts from ya. LOL
Jason, first off i have some respect for you from over on plowsite, second I have no problem canceling my plans BUT your really telling me that after what could be 6" of rain in two days your really going to put mowers on these yards? Also if we cancel are plans our customers better cancel their's because I'm not going to be throwing clumps of grass at there guest during their weekend BBQ... So lets all be truth full here guys who's really going to try and cut anything the minute it stops raining?
2010 Enclosed 8.5x20 Trailer
And everything else that goes along with a lawn and landscape operation
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think thursday is going to be shot for sure, friday I may try to mow a few if its not raining and sat and sunday I'm not mowing any resi lawns. If people arnt understanding with what's going on right now I have no use for them as customers. Period. I'm not a magician.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2011, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
I think thursday is going to be shot for sure, friday I may try to mow a few if its not raining and sat and sunday I'm not mowing any resi lawns. If people arnt understanding with what's going on right now I have no use for them as customers. Period. I'm not a magician.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly. The hard part is that they think we are magicians...lol

I cant see how anyone will put anything larger than a pushmower on any lawn today and if we get another 2" today, tomorrow will be the same.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Today doesn't look that bad, the radar shows one large system that's trying to pass over us but nothing behind it. It might blow over and be clear by noon. We shall see
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Were cutting today, cant waste the day looking at the grass grow a inch a day. No resis, just commercial. Seen Fasse out cutting this morning, cutting water ponds, but what can u do wait till monday, no way. Most people are stupid and dont think about the rain only themselfs. Already had a couple calls asking if they would be cut before the weekend BBQ. Like jason said, GET TO WORK!!!

Tags
alternative landscaping