Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So I have a project ahead of me that I dont know much about, a bog garden.

This client has an area in his yard that will not dry out. He had a drain system put in years ago, that doesn't cut it. I've tried pulling back the irrigation time in this area, but the other area suffers. 2 acre yard that has a 3 zone system. Huge lake pump.

Long story short, I suggested we just turn this area into a bog garden, instead of grass. They love the idea.

So with their neighbors help, we laid out the design of the edges, and decided a river birch will be the centerpiece of this area. The homeowner mentioned blueberries, as he already has one (need 2 for pollination), and they like wet feet.

What smaller growing plants are pretty hardy in our zone, that I could use as the smaller detail plant.

Also, I need to know where the best local place is to purchase aquatic plants. Thanks guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ferns, Lillie's, moss, install mulch in the area it will decompose and help,
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Justin!

All plants they have readily available to split.

I'm gonna place a birch as the center piece, with 4 blueberry bushes along a path way, with lilly set against the blueberry, and astilbe?? (Fern with pink flower, low growing) along the outer edge. It will flow with the design of their existing gardens I think.

I'm pretty excited for this project, as its one of the larger install jobs I have tackled since being out on my own. I know I have this job, as they are 3 year clients, and they already gave me a budget, and I'm well with in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else try cleanups today? I kinda enjoyed the wind, as it was directed right at the wood line Somehow we didn't have much to haul away
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post
Anyone else try cleanups today? I kinda enjoyed the wind, as it was directed right at the wood line Somehow we didn't have much to haul away
Posted via Mobile Device
I tried a clean up for my neighbor. The wind was just blowing the wrong way, I guess it will be a long day tomorrow.
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle
Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Screw that wind today that was terrible!
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Clean ups ? We are on our third mow at most site. Some will have there fourth cut this week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys I sent the link to the house bill to the police officer weigh master that wrote me a list of tickets and I got this in return from him.

Justin,
I sure am.* If it ultimately makes law, it wonít last too long though.* That adoption of law is tied to federal road money, that Michigan isnít going to be too thrilled with giving up.* But, I guess only time will tell!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superior L & L View Post
Clean ups ? We are on our third mow at most site. Some will have there fourth cut this week.
Posted via Mobile Device
New clients. But yeah, most of my sites have been lowed 3 times. I only mow a few days a week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningllc View Post
Guys I sent the link to the house bill to the police officer weigh master that wrote me a list of tickets and I got this in return from him.

Justin,
I sure am.* If it ultimately makes law, it wonít last too long though.* That adoption of law is tied to federal road money, that Michigan isnít going to be too thrilled with giving up.* But, I guess only time will tell!
Posted via Mobile Device

Typical "public servant" trying desperately to justify his value to society. You may point out to Mr. Weighmaster that this exact topic was brought up during the hearings and the legal opinion received in return by the legislators was that there are no federal funds at risk in this matter. It was never the Fed's intention to regulate intrastate commerce for vehicles under 26k lbs. No surprise, the WM is speaking of things he knows nothing about, and wrong again.

That being said, don't get too excited about this bill coming through right now -- it is not the salvation we are all hoping for. Basically, all this one will allow us to do is take the DOT #'s off the trucks, lift the hours of service limits for snow plowing, and you no longer have to fill out daily inspection logs. Even if it passes, you will still have to carry your med card, and be subject to all the roadside equipment "inspections" we have today.

The holy grail bill that will make all this fix-it tickets hasn't even been sent to committee yet. We have the Farm Bureau on our side pushing for it, but even so I'm anticipating this one will be much harder to get passed.

Tags
alternative landscaping