Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #17971  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Lightningllc's Avatar
Lightningllc Lightningllc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Lyon , MI
Posts: 327
The complaining phone calls have begun. I guess 8 am cutting on July 4th is not a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17972  
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningllc View Post
The complaining phone calls have begun. I guess 8 am cutting on July 4th is not a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
I started at 8:30 at one of my lakes houses and a neighbor came out and inquired about me doing his. Your clients are just crabby haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17973  
Old 07-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Randallhorton175 Randallhorton175 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pentwater, MI
Posts: 9
I have had some crabby people this week myself. Must be in the water!
Reply With Quote
  #17974  
Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Hidden Talents Lawn Care Hidden Talents Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Livonia
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I started at 8:30 at one of my lakes houses and a neighbor came out and inquired about me doing his. Your clients are just crabby haha
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, Your customers are crabby. Always are. I picked up two new mowing accounts and 3 landscaping jobs on the 4th. I only decided to mow so I could see different people than I normally do and it worked.
Reply With Quote
  #17975  
Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Talents Lawn Care View Post
I agree, Your customers are crabby. Always are. I picked up two new mowing accounts and 3 landscaping jobs on the 4th. I only decided to mow so I could see different people than I normally do and it worked.
It actually got me thinking on the 4th. I have about 110 accounts give or take and I want to drop about half of them and work all the lake around me. We have at least 12 in 20 miles of my house that I can think of off the bat. Less fuss, higher income. The one guy didn't even bat an eye at $35 for his 5000 sq ft lawn lol. I just need 100 more and I would be golden.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17976  
Old 07-08-2013, 06:15 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,267
Have you guys been seeing a lot more thatch on lawns you don't bag this year?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17977  
Old 07-08-2013, 06:30 PM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Have you guys been seeing a lot more thatch on lawns you don't bag this year?
Posted via Mobile Device
On a few of my high end lawns yes. I tried talking them into dethatching in the spring but they didn't see a need. Now that they aren't getting proper water they are asking about it.
__________________
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Reply With Quote
  #17978  
Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
On a few of my high end lawns yes. I tried talking them into dethatching in the spring but they didn't see a need. Now that they aren't getting proper water they are asking about it.
I swear except for anal peoples lawns you can see the visible thatch. Now that I am noticing its driving me nuts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17979  
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM
SchannaultROLC's Avatar
SchannaultROLC SchannaultROLC is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 479
While I was replacing two gear drives for one customer they walked outside and asked what all the "straw in their yard was". I laughed and said it's what making this irrigation system pointless. I talked with her and explained what thatch was and why you see it being removed, and why I recommended she had it done in the spring. I think she wants it dethatched now. Then down the street in the same sub, I have a customer who doesn't want it cut but every two weeks, but waters daily, and has TruGreen out every month. Why? Because they don't want it bagged and they don't want a heavy thatch build up. Oh, and "don't use your rider, use your WB, we heard it does better on the clippings." Really? I asked if they fertilized when I signed them up for the season when they wanted bi-weekly (which is pointless anyways) and they said no. Then I get their and theirs spreader tracks everywhere. It's to the point where if they don't go weekly or accept a rate raise I'm dropping them. Sorry for the tangent, but the point is I'm stuck with this one all because of fear of thatch! haha
__________________
Ford
Bob-Cat
Echo, Redmax, Stihl

Equipment/Work
Reply With Quote
  #17980  
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
While I was replacing two gear drives for one customer they walked outside and asked what all the "straw in their yard was". I laughed and said it's what making this irrigation system pointless. I talked with her and explained what thatch was and why you see it being removed, and why I recommended she had it done in the spring. I think she wants it dethatched now. Then down the street in the same sub, I have a customer who doesn't want it cut but every two weeks, but waters daily, and has TruGreen out every month. Why? Because they don't want it bagged and they don't want a heavy thatch build up. Oh, and "don't use your rider, use your WB, we heard it does better on the clippings." Really? I asked if they fertilized when I signed them up for the season when they wanted bi-weekly (which is pointless anyways) and they said no. Then I get their and theirs spreader tracks everywhere. It's to the point where if they don't go weekly or accept a rate raise I'm dropping them. Sorry for the tangent, but the point is I'm stuck with this one all because of fear of thatch! haha
What's your dethatch rig? I am really considering getting a jrco system with a pelator (think that's the name) bagger for my kubota zd326. But I'm thinking that will set me back 3.5k. I have an old woods (721d grasshopper) that I bag with, but it sucks at lifting dead grass. Its strickly for leaves or fresh grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alternative landscaping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Page generated in 0.17458 seconds with 8 queries