Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The complaining phone calls have begun. I guess 8 am cutting on July 4th is not a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningllc View Post
The complaining phone calls have begun. I guess 8 am cutting on July 4th is not a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
I started at 8:30 at one of my lakes houses and a neighbor came out and inquired about me doing his. Your clients are just crabby haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had some crabby people this week myself. Must be in the water!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I started at 8:30 at one of my lakes houses and a neighbor came out and inquired about me doing his. Your clients are just crabby haha
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, Your customers are crabby. Always are. I picked up two new mowing accounts and 3 landscaping jobs on the 4th. I only decided to mow so I could see different people than I normally do and it worked.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Talents Lawn Care View Post
I agree, Your customers are crabby. Always are. I picked up two new mowing accounts and 3 landscaping jobs on the 4th. I only decided to mow so I could see different people than I normally do and it worked.
It actually got me thinking on the 4th. I have about 110 accounts give or take and I want to drop about half of them and work all the lake around me. We have at least 12 in 20 miles of my house that I can think of off the bat. Less fuss, higher income. The one guy didn't even bat an eye at $35 for his 5000 sq ft lawn lol. I just need 100 more and I would be golden.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you guys been seeing a lot more thatch on lawns you don't bag this year?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Have you guys been seeing a lot more thatch on lawns you don't bag this year?
Posted via Mobile Device
On a few of my high end lawns yes. I tried talking them into dethatching in the spring but they didn't see a need. Now that they aren't getting proper water they are asking about it.

Equipment/Work
Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
On a few of my high end lawns yes. I tried talking them into dethatching in the spring but they didn't see a need. Now that they aren't getting proper water they are asking about it.
I swear except for anal peoples lawns you can see the visible thatch. Now that I am noticing its driving me nuts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While I was replacing two gear drives for one customer they walked outside and asked what all the "straw in their yard was". I laughed and said it's what making this irrigation system pointless. I talked with her and explained what thatch was and why you see it being removed, and why I recommended she had it done in the spring. I think she wants it dethatched now. Then down the street in the same sub, I have a customer who doesn't want it cut but every two weeks, but waters daily, and has TruGreen out every month. Why? Because they don't want it bagged and they don't want a heavy thatch build up. Oh, and "don't use your rider, use your WB, we heard it does better on the clippings." Really? I asked if they fertilized when I signed them up for the season when they wanted bi-weekly (which is pointless anyways) and they said no. Then I get their and theirs spreader tracks everywhere. It's to the point where if they don't go weekly or accept a rate raise I'm dropping them. Sorry for the tangent, but the point is I'm stuck with this one all because of fear of thatch! haha

Equipment/Work
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
While I was replacing two gear drives for one customer they walked outside and asked what all the "straw in their yard was". I laughed and said it's what making this irrigation system pointless. I talked with her and explained what thatch was and why you see it being removed, and why I recommended she had it done in the spring. I think she wants it dethatched now. Then down the street in the same sub, I have a customer who doesn't want it cut but every two weeks, but waters daily, and has TruGreen out every month. Why? Because they don't want it bagged and they don't want a heavy thatch build up. Oh, and "don't use your rider, use your WB, we heard it does better on the clippings." Really? I asked if they fertilized when I signed them up for the season when they wanted bi-weekly (which is pointless anyways) and they said no. Then I get their and theirs spreader tracks everywhere. It's to the point where if they don't go weekly or accept a rate raise I'm dropping them. Sorry for the tangent, but the point is I'm stuck with this one all because of fear of thatch! haha
What's your dethatch rig? I am really considering getting a jrco system with a pelator (think that's the name) bagger for my kubota zd326. But I'm thinking that will set me back 3.5k. I have an old woods (721d grasshopper) that I bag with, but it sucks at lifting dead grass. Its strickly for leaves or fresh grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
alternative landscaping