Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2006, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey five star are you cutting the levan road med. center this year? Was just wondering cause i seen some other company pull in there.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Argh. People make me nuts. lol. I was out giving estimates like a chicken with my head cut off today. 2 of them were fert only estimates. One in Warren, One in Sterling Heights. I am POSITIVE neither of them knew of other, yet they both had the exact same story so it kind of made me laugh (to myself). First house is a corner lot, about 15,000 sq. ft. (lot size). I bid the fert at $48 per app x 5 apps. Guy says WHOA am I high, his last guy did it for $28 an app. (note, he did not actually give a year in which this happened.) Then he proceeds into a story about how oil was $10 a barrel after WWII. Great, heres your estimate, have a nice day.

Later on I give an estimate for a lot size of about 8,000 sq. ft. for $32.50 per app. x 5 apps. Guy says WHOA am I high, his other 2 quotes came in at $28 per app. (Magic number I guess?). But, he reveals they both wanted to do 6 applications, where I was quoting 5. So, annualy, I was less. Apparently, this tid bit of Math still elluded him, even after my pointing it out. It was a nice new sub that I do not have any accounts in yet, so I even told him I was willing to match the $28 price, and still get it done with 5 apps. and backed it all up with our standard 100% satisfaction guarantee. Apparently, one of the other companies has 2 accounts in the sub, so he really wants to go with who the Jones' are going with. Argh....

Then, just for fun, he ask's me how much to cut the grass. I throw out $20 and again, WHOA, you really are high he says again. Well, good luck with that $12 mow and 100% urea based fert program your planning on signing up for buddy.

I did laugh (to myself again) when he told me he just had his lawn dethatched. Apparently, the company that did it must think dethatching means using a blower and nothing else to fluff up a lawn. LOL. Oh well, you get what you pay for I guess. I should have offered to show him what a dethatching should look like, but I probably would have been wasting my breath.

OK. Now I vented

Kevin
Old 04-21-2006, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrappler135
Hey five star are you cutting the levan road med. center this year? Was just wondering cause i seen some other company pull in there.
yes i have the full contract this year....must have been going to the doctor

Eric Estes
Five Star Lawn Care LLC
Old 04-21-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to sub out a job in Ferndale on 8 mile / Woodward. It's a commercial account. Need to have about 25-30 yds of old red lava stone removed from about 4-5 easliy accessible beds (backhoe - skidsteer = no problem) and then replaced with new lava stone. Anyone interested? Needs doing soon for this client. PM me or post back here.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a customer in the grosse pointe farms area looking for a fertilizing company anybody interested pm me or post asap they got dandilions like whoa!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man, what is it with this market? First fert customers, and now mowing! Price resistance seems to me worse now than in my previous 3 years. I bid a job today for weekly mowing, and got to talk to the owners. It was a 9,000 sq. ft. lot, and they wanted it bagged. I would normally bid it at $26, but I have been having a heck of a time getting new customers for mowing this year, so I came in at $23. I told them $20 if it was just mulched. They said there current guy does it for $16, bags, and even supplies the bags!

Everytime I run into this situation I WANT to say "Why in the heck are you calling me then?". But my professionalism gets the best of me and I bite my tongue. Instead I try more inderect questions, such as are you happy with your current provider? etc..

I firmly believe these people are calling because they expect me to beat there current price. This is insane. I cant even come close to MEETING it let alone beating it. Not a one of them seems to express an outward dislike to there current LCO, they are just looking for a better deal. And NOWHERE in my ads do I say "meet or beat any price" or any such similar inference to provoke such calls.

What the heck gives?? Are you guys running into similar types of increased price resistance this year? On the flip side, I am selling aeration and dethatching jobs pretty well and regularly still, but mowing is just insane right now.

Kevin
Old 04-24-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys i got a F250 7.3l diesel for sale 90,000 miles, clean interior, it has a few minor scratches, and a few dings on the tailgate.Other then that its a clean truck. I am asking $17,000.PM me if interested
Old 04-24-2006, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=Mower For Less

I firmly believe these people are calling because they expect me to beat there current price. This is insane. I cant even come close to MEETING it let alone beating it. Not a one of them seems to express an outward dislike to there current LCO, they are just looking for a better deal. And NOWHERE in my ads do I say "meet or beat any price" or any such similar inference to provoke such calls.

What the heck gives?? Are you guys running into similar types of increased price resistance this year? On the flip side, I am selling aeration and dethatching jobs pretty well and regularly still, but mowing is just insane right now.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

you should start asking them on the phone, if you talk to them, if they have someone that cuts it now. if they do, ask them if they are happy. if they say "it's ok", then dont waste your time. you know they are price hunting. this is horrible!!!! $16 and still looking for a deal.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam5557
Hey guys i got a F250 7.3l diesel for sale 90,000 miles, clean interior, it has a few minor scratches, and a few dings on the tailgate.Other then that its a clean truck. I am asking $17,000.PM me if interested
what year?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

That's funny Mower , I thought the economy was going great down that way.
Maybe I should just keep the jobs I have down there, sence the lowest one is $25 and take 20 min. from unload to load.

Tags
alternative landscaping