Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2006, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower For Less
You say on your website you apply Merit in May-June. I have always read from MSU's Extension that they recommend the first week in July. Where did you get the May-June recommendation from?

Kevin
good point just a mistake. Should be july.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy
good point just a mistake. Should be july.
the guys at shemin have two grub controls....Merit and Dylox. They said that merit lasts 8 months (of course it weekens with time), and Dylox if grubs are present.

So my question, do you apply merit (which is $52/bag) or check to see if grubs are present (by lifting sod) and apply Dylox ($42/bag).
Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tree Help

Anyone willing to look at an apple tree in madison heights for free (11mile & dequinder) and see if they can save it???
It has some type of bug (i think). It is my moms, so any help would be great.

Or maybe a sugestion of who to call that will do a free estimate?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

merit and arena are what we apply. On some occations we do mach but hardly ever do we apply dylox, unless it is a strange year or a customer ask for grub control after the control period
Old 06-25-2006, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey by the way merit is $35 a bag at russos. I dont know if you guys ever go there. It is in chicago. Well worth the trip. They will deliver sometimes too.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy
Hey by the way merit is $35 a bag at russos. I dont know if you guys ever go there. It is in chicago. Well worth the trip. They will deliver sometimes too.
Except from the metro detroit area you would need to buy a whole bunch to make it worth the time and fuel.
But great for the guys much closer to there.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz
the guys at shemin have two grub controls....Merit and Dylox. They said that merit lasts 8 months (of course it weekens with time), and Dylox if grubs are present.

So my question, do you apply merit (which is $52/bag) or check to see if grubs are present (by lifting sod) and apply Dylox ($42/bag).
I get asked this all the time. I recommend Merit to all my customers. If you call me in September/October and you have grubs because you didn't opt for the Merit application, I'll use Dylox. It is the same price as a Merit application and you'll have some turf renovation to do. You can buy peace of mind. It's called Merit.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz

Merit lasting 8 months is BS sales talk. The grub control may last 8 months, because thats roughly when the next season begins, but the product itself will not. Which is why they dont recommend applying it in May-June. Dylox has NO residual control and must be applied to actively feeding grubs. If you put down Dylox right now, you are wasting your money.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone hear about a LCO getting carjacked last week? I think it was on 10 Mile rd in Warren or Eastpointe.
Since we had our stuff stolen 3 weeks ago, I've found out about a lot of stuff going on w/regards to theft of landscaping equipment and where it ends up, etc.... will post back when I have more time. But in the mean time WATCH YOUR STUFF. They don't just take equipment (blowers/trimmers) anymore. They're taking the whole truck and rig. I've talked to at least a dozen LCOs in the last three weeks that have had that happen to them this year and I know of at least twice as many that this has happened to. GPW cops are now stopping crews to warn them. The problem is that bad. He said that 3 C's had a trailer that was cleaned out while it was parked on Lakeshore last week. My fear is that the carjackings are gonna increase. These guys know that we ride around with $20k-30K of equipment and it's easy to get with a gun. Unfortunately, we're very easy targets and these guys know it.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pallas
Anyone hear about a LCO getting carjacked last week? I think it was on 10 Mile rd in Warren or Eastpointe.
Since we had our stuff stolen 3 weeks ago, I've found out about a lot of stuff going on w/regards to theft of landscaping equipment and where it ends up, etc.... will post back when I have more time. But in the mean time WATCH YOUR STUFF. They don't just take equipment (blowers/trimmers) anymore. They're taking the whole truck and rig. I've talked to at least a dozen LCOs in the last three weeks that have had that happen to them this year and I know of at least twice as many that this has happened to. GPW cops are now stopping crews to warn them. The problem is that bad. He said that 3 C's had a trailer that was cleaned out while it was parked on Lakeshore last week. My fear is that the carjackings are gonna increase. These guys know that we ride around with $20k-30K of equipment and it's easy to get with a gun. Unfortunately, we're very easy targets and these guys know it.
I think it was 10 & Groesbeck area, I didnt see the story, but heard it second hand. I am going to get a GPS tracking system on my truck, and also going to get a CCW now. It'll be easier to catch these scums if they cant walk.

Kevin

Tags
alternative landscaping