Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nevermind, found it.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is it just me or is the residental Landscape business really slow this year?
Rich
Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Lawnscape
is it just me or is the residental Landscape business really slow this year?
Rich
not getting calls or they dont call back?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I work for a rather Large company in se mich. Not going to say where and times are really slow right now, just laid off 5 guys today because we are so slow and i still try to work for my self part time and havent got a call in 2 months
Old 07-10-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

its a half an hour south west of Grand Rapids, real near Holland. Hope that gives you an idea!
Thanks,

Gus
Old 07-10-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's hectic as hell for us. Infact, I'm looking for guys, always. Especially construction crews and sod crews. If anyone is interested in construction or sod work, let me know. You have to have experiance and be dependable. We don't have time to train right now. A CDL B w/Air Brake would also be helpful. We offer top pay for experianced foreman.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well I work for a rather Large company in se mich. Not going to say where and times are really slow right now, just laid off 5 guys today because we are so slow and i still try to work for my self part time and havent got a call in 2 months
Go north. Romeo, Richmond, Macomb (north of 25 mile) and such all are booming. We're laying at least 2K yards a day of sod because we are offering a "sprinkler and sod" package, along with FINANCING to help todays homeowners "finish" their homes. Most new homeowners are broke right now, and if you can get them financing, they will do what they "planned" to do until closing on that $320K house became a reality. We've noticed 3 out of 10 homeowners that call us for "sprinkler and sod packages" ask if we have "financing" before they even ask for an estimate. The economy sucks. My suggestion for that is do what we did, make friends with your banker. We have a deal going on with JPMorgan Chase Bank where our customers can take a loan WITHOUT refinancing their home at 8% with no collateral. That's alot better than JD Landscapes Financing at 18%. We've sent the bank so much business, their "Middle Market" people are going to meet with us to plan an "Exclusive" rate for our customers and make it some type of product they offer only to our customers. The branch manager was going nuts when we started sending in 3 or 4 applications a day.

Long story short, just make it work. Find a way to get them the $ to do it. That's the biggest problem right now. Everyone's broke.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
just laid off 5 guys today because we are so slow
Are the 5 looking for new jobs? If so, give them my number if they are interesterd.

(586)532-7500 ext. 710

Dan
Old 07-11-2006, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper69
Stay away from 7/kelly.. It can happen on 16mile as well as 7 mile, but I stay OUT of Detroit = for the simple reason, I dont want my sht stolen. That sucks but its happening tooooooo much lately. We actually lock our rear trailer door at each stop.. takes time but worth it. I see so many guys with enclosed trailers, and the ramp down and nobody around??? Why. Crazy
That's why I'm glad for being way north of all you guys. I don't even worry about getting sht stolen out of my trailer, and I leave the ramp down on every job ( but knocking on wood anyway ) and have not had one piece of equipment stolen. But I have been thinking about getting out of this crap so if I do I'll be sure to ask where to take it.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well - I knew it was only a matter of time before this started happening..... 3 differents LCOs got carjacked last week. One at 8 and Gratiot, one at 10 and Kelly and the last one at knifepoint at Mack and Lochmoor in GPW..... will post more details later.... BTW if anyone know of a LCO that lost (got stolen) a trailer and a belt drive Bobcat, there's a guy trying to unload it around the Warren and Cadieux area for $1500. He also had a bunch of trimmers and blowers he was trying to unload. I tried to get his # but he was smarter than that - instead he took an employee of mine cell # to call back ... if you know who's equipment this might be, PM me and maybe we can get it back . Friggin' thieves - I'd love to catch them just once.....

Tags
alternative landscaping