Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2006, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz
sorry for the double post.

i have problem with my trailer lights....i dont have brakes and turn signals, but have lights (constant) when the truck lights are on.

not sure if you understand. in other words, dont have signals and brakes.

any suggestions?
Check your wires where they are exposed one might have got sliced or cut, also im not sure if the trailer connections runn off fuses, but if so check those out.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grrrr. Had one of my exmark mowers break today. The weld on the frame that holds the deck just broke clean away. Obviously a defective weld, since there were no signs of metal fatigue, just weld failure. I am surprised it lasted into its 3rd season like that though. I am about to go clean it up and re-weld it right now. What a crappy way to end the day.

Kevin
Old 07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot who was asking about the sod install we're doing at Cranbrook with that new special sod from Nebraska.. but here's a link to the sod farm we're buying it from.

www.toddvalleyfarms.com

Now we just need to make a road trip to Nebraska to go get it What we are using is called "Legacy Buffalograss." This is what I've discovered about this stuff:

1. It's REALLY REALLY low maintenance stuff. Only needs 0.3 in. of water per week, and it only grows up to 5 inches tall so it rarely needs to be cut. Then, you really don't need sprinklers for the lawn because it doesn't need the water.

2. NOBODY in Michigan at any of the major sod farms has ever heard of it, but they all wanna come see it when it's installed and might consider using the plugs to grow some.

3. If this stuff starts getting used in MI, most maintenance LCO's will be out of business because there is nothing to cut (usually grows to 3 in. with a max of 5 in. and usually only needs to be cut ONCE per season.)

4. This stuff will grow well in MI.

5. The grass "browns out" longer than normal bluegrass. Therefore, you literally PAINT THE GRASS during the brown out period (winter) and you always have green grass. Seriously, you paint the grass.

6. It's the most expensive sod out there. It's 3 times the cost of normal sod, but it is justifiable because you don't need to pay a LCO to maintain it or any water bills for sprinklers to run.

Last edited by macomb-lawn; 07-12-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

damn he might have my blowers!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Today this guy on Mack and Stanhope was acting like he was pulling a gun out on us, I just took off.

We got up to mack and I wasnt sure if this guy on a bike was a male, female, or shemale, so I kept looking, then the two other guys in the truck with me started laughing at the dude, then I started laughing, he started getting pist and yelling, then next thing I know it, hes reaching behind his back and screaming, then I took off, and he tried pedaling fast up to us to follow us. I was sure to lock my stuff up good tonight.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone in their right mind would pay all that money for those houses in the Grosse Point's. So you can get carjacked? WTF Then, how come you guys even bother to work out there. You can't be making any money regardless of how many accounts you have with the insurance you need to just to make sure you can operate. The only thing we've had stolen so far (knocking on wood) is a stupid orange caution cone. I highly suggest you guys get the lowest deductable possible. That, and a few bullet proof vests and maybe require crew foreman to have a CCW.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't just think that this stolen equipment thing is confined to the immediate Detroit area and surrounding burbs. I know of at least a half a dozen LCOs in Macomb County that have been hit like this too (not car-jacked though). One company got hit for a truck and trailer (loaded) at 22 and Mound and another got hit in Northern Macomb on 32 Mile rd.
Now, you know if they're getting jacked that far North, there's real problems. Unfortunately, if you haven't gotten anything stolen in this business, you've either been incredibly lucky or not in it for long. These guys have realized that between knocking over a Brinks truck and jacking an LCO, the easier mark is an LCO. The equipment is worth $$$$ and there's no armed guard.
BTW a CCW won't help. If you use deadly force to defend your property, you're gonna be the one headed to jail. It sucks but it's true. Unless you can prove that your life is in immediate danger, you better not even think about that gun. The best thing you can do is get good insurance and hand over those keys and hope you don't get shot/knifed. If the guy pulls a gun on you and you shoot him as he gets into your truck to drive away with your stuff, you're in deep trouble (because the immenent and immediate threat to your life had left as soon as he turned away to get into your truck to steal it).
Old 07-13-2006, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeTruckMan731
Check your wires where they are exposed one might have got sliced or cut, also im not sure if the trailer connections runn off fuses, but if so check those out.
well,

looked for 2 hrs and found a small 20amp blown fuse. changed it, the tester worked fine. pluged the trailer back in and the fuse blew again. you must be right. there must be a cut in the wire that is touching the steel.

just checking, but a short would not occur if it's touching the aluminum, right? this will help me identify it faster by just looking at the areas with steel cross studs and such.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pallas
Don't just think that this stolen equipment thing is confined to the immediate Detroit area and surrounding burbs. I know of at least a half a dozen LCOs in Macomb County that have been hit like this too (not car-jacked though). One company got hit for a truck and trailer (loaded) at 22 and Mound and another got hit in Northern Macomb on 32 Mile rd.
Now, you know if they're getting jacked that far North, there's real problems. Unfortunately, if you haven't gotten anything stolen in this business, you've either been incredibly lucky or not in it for long. These guys have realized that between knocking over a Brinks truck and jacking an LCO, the easier mark is an LCO. The equipment is worth $$$$ and there's no armed guard.
BTW a CCW won't help. If you use deadly force to defend your property, you're gonna be the one headed to jail. It sucks but it's true. Unless you can prove that your life is in immediate danger, you better not even think about that gun. The best thing you can do is get good insurance and hand over those keys and hope you don't get shot/knifed. If the guy pulls a gun on you and you shoot him as he gets into your truck to drive away with your stuff, you're in deep trouble (because the immenent and immediate threat to your life had left as soon as he turned away to get into your truck to steal it).
This is CRAZY.. that its goin on all over!
Bad economy = High theft/buglury-
Old 07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macomb-lawn
Huh

I don't get that one.
The jack hammer made me think of a tattoo needle..lol
Lawn Service Divisions
Warren - Harrison Twp. - Detroit - Lenox - St. Helen
(586) 634-2904 (313) 885-9090 (989) 443-4380

Tags