Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-13-2006, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz
well,

looked for 2 hrs and found a small 20amp blown fuse. changed it, the tester worked fine. pluged the trailer back in and the fuse blew again. you must be right. there must be a cut in the wire that is touching the steel.

just checking, but a short would not occur if it's touching the aluminum, right? this will help me identify it faster by just looking at the areas with steel cross studs and such.

yes that would definatly cause it to blow, you propabbly do have a cut wire thats touching part of the trailer, or very rare but it might be overloading, but if you havent had any problems with that before i dont see why you would now.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz
well,

looked for 2 hrs and found a small 20amp blown fuse. changed it, the tester worked fine. pluged the trailer back in and the fuse blew again. you must be right. there must be a cut in the wire that is touching the steel.

just checking, but a short would not occur if it's touching the aluminum, right? this will help me identify it faster by just looking at the areas with steel cross studs and such.
Aluminum is a good conductor, and could cause a short if it were at ground with the trailer frame. Dont overlook it.

Kevin
Old 07-13-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing calls still coming in....... I've been adding 2+ residentials per week since the season started. It gets me thinking why people are switching
Old 07-13-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well by now people are starting to realize that their landscape company probably sucks or its to dang hot out to be mowing it themselves. But same here i've been picking up 1 or 2 additional accounts every week along with a lot of hedge trimming jobs.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Lawn & Snow
well by now people are starting to realize that their landscape company probably sucks or its to dang hot out to be mowing it themselves. But same here i've been picking up 1 or 2 additional accounts every week along with a lot of hedge trimming jobs.
is there a PBI Gordon dealer around here?

Mike, you need to get their Plant growth suppresors that will reduce your bush clippings volume. their website lists dealers that are very far and i doubt they would even ship chemicals.

any local dealers?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why inhibit plant growth? The more growth, the more business you get from trimming. That'd be like spraying lawns to ****** growth so that they didn't need as frequent cutting.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

www.amleo.com for PBI Gordon PGR. Type "Embark" in the search box.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pallas
Why inhibit plant growth? The more growth, the more business you get from trimming. That'd be like spraying lawns to ****** growth so that they didn't need as frequent cutting.
I guess that would depend on whether or not your on a seasonal maintenance contract, or just a per cut contract. If the math works out, PGR's can be more cost effective. And even if your on a per cut, you could charge for the application enough to make up for the lost labor of cutting and find something else to do with your time without losing any profit.

Kevin
Old 07-14-2006, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pallas
it would not work for the actual cut. but let's say if you spray around the trees or along the curb, less clippings and way too little time trimming. noone likes that.

about the bushes, it will still grow and you have to trim them. just not collect a trailer full of clippings.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone interested on cutting a 100 yard long ditch on 16 mile road and I-94? They want it cleared and knocked down to improve business visibility. It's all 10 foot tall weeds and the city won't touch it as long as water flows thru the ditch so the property owner is going to pay to have it cut. If your interested, send me a PM.

Tags
alternative landscaping