Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant087
but with a fully loaded truck you can still u know "use it to pull the trailers and haul stuff" idk it might just be me but i would think the irs would say something......hmm next year i might have to add like an 03 cobra to the fleet then.....
you guys are too funny....cobra...there is a long waitlist for that eventhough they increased the quantity....he-he

anyway, the IRS could not care less what you spend your money on. just think about it...the more money you spend on your business, the more you are helping the global economy, and that's what they care about. Toyota, GM, and Nissan got their sales and now they will be paying taxes on their profits. i dont think the IRS hates you for doing that. They just want to be kinda sure that you dont buy jet skis for "business" purposes...and you dont take your employees to lunch.

that's all..

and another thing....i am amazed and glad that Dan got these vehicles. He probably works hard and knows how to do it right (hopefully). i'd hire a company that has a lexus as a sales vehicle...no question about it.

cobra.....too funny. you should experience how fast the new ones go!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
how do u get a way with that one.....those r some nice vehicles for a landscaping company....
We're not an ordinary landscaping company
Old 07-19-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Lawnscape
Its just like buying/leasing a fully loaded f-350 quad cab the payment is around the same. Its just a fancy car compared to a fancy truck
That pretty much sums it up.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
but with a fully loaded truck you can still u know "use it to pull the trailers and haul stuff" idk it might just be me but i would think the irs would say something......hmm next year i might have to add like an 03 cobra to the fleet then.....
I'll have you know, the Escalade has 400 + HP and can pull a trailer if it had to. It even has a tow/haul button for it. It's somewhere between the air conditioned seat button and the onstar button. Not sure how to use it though. Too many buttons in the damn thing.

j/k
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper69
Yeah-- i think i'm gonna add a 40' Fountain to our fleet.
That one might raise eyebrows at the IRS for sure.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper69
Yeah-- i think i'm gonna add a 40' Fountain to our fleet.
you could call it a "job site office"...lol
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz
you guys are too funny....cobra...there is a long waitlist for that eventhough they increased the quantity....he-he

anyway, the IRS could not care less what you spend your money on. just think about it...the more money you spend on your business, the more you are helping the global economy, and that's what they care about. Toyota, GM, and Nissan got their sales and now they will be paying taxes on their profits. i dont think the IRS hates you for doing that. They just want to be kinda sure that you dont buy jet skis for "business" purposes...and you dont take your employees to lunch.

that's all..

and another thing....i am amazed and glad that Dan got these vehicles. He probably works hard and knows how to do it right (hopefully). i'd hire a company that has a lexus as a sales vehicle...no question about it.

cobra.....too funny. you should experience how fast the new ones go!
Well, it's kinda weird that people haven't done it before in all honesty, especially when you deal with "higher end" customers. See, there are people that shop at Walmart, and there are people that only shop at Somerset. Both spend money, the amounts are just different. We prefer the customers that shop at Somerset. The people that shop at Saks Fifth Avenue walk in there with the intention of spending $500.00 on a single shirt. The people that shop at Walmart don't spend $500.00 on a whole wardrobe. So, since we cater to mostly the "Saks Fifth Avenue type," we have what they want. They "expect" certain things when they walk into a Sak's store. Well, they expect certain things from everyone that they deal with. People with big $ are sometimes funny about it. In all reality, 95% of the homeowners we deal with all are in homes that are $300k + and alot of them are in homes that are $1 million plus. It's funny when you pull up to a sub division that has a sign in front that says "Homes from the low $900's." Then, having a bunch of homes like that in a portfolio to show customers with that type of coin often justifies a car ride. Believe it or not, we have taken customers "site seeing" to our previous customers homes so they can see it in person for "ideas." Well, we drive when we do that, and we aren't gonna do that in a dump truck. So, we have MB's, Lexus, etc. Then again though, a MB or a Lexus doesn't mean anything to a person with 2 Bently's in his garage. It's weird, but it works. Hell, we'll buy a Bently if it's justifiable and logo it up.

p.s. You guys ain't see'n nothin' yet. Wait till you see our big plow trucks. International 7500 w/ 16 yard Rock Box
Old 07-19-2006, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To better give you an idea of why in the hell.. let me give you a recent scenerio.

First off, rich people "compete" to have the best house on the block. Seriously, they compete. Anyways, we did a house in Washington Twp. The install was about $40K nothing too outrageous. This was the first house in the sub. Anyways, two weeks goes by, and we get a call from one of the neighbors. She calls and wants us to come give a quote. So, one of our reps goes out there and meets with her. Come to find out, this lady has her house built on TWO lots. Two. Your talking $900K + lots of a sub with 9-10 houses. She told us she had to "buy" two houses but only had one built. She literally bought the lot at full cost because the builder wouldn't sell her an empty lot because he'd lose money not building a house. So, she had her house centered on two lots. $1.8 MIL atleast for the house and land, but I'm sure the total is alot more than the "entry level" $900K house cost. Anyways, she tells us she want's an extravagant landscape design. Well, our sales rep takes her out to a bunch of different houses we've done in the past to "site see" others homes. Of course, the customer from the past is at home and "welcomes viewers" because they love showing off. 6 HOURS later of "site seeing" she agrees to have us send our architect out there. He goes out there, and meets with her for 4 more hours. He starts on the design. He finishes the design, and hands over a 4 page long plant list. We add it all up, and the grand total is $144,531.06 This is landscape, sod, and sprinklers. The sales rep. takes the customer the print and goes over the entire quote with her. After 20 minutes of "plant questions" with our sales rep., our customer goes to her purse, grabs a check, and writes us a check for $80K even for the downpayment (we require half down upfront, other half on completion.) This was last month. We STILL haven't even gotten close to starting this job because the customer is waiting for her pool to be finished. The sprinklers are in, but that's it.

THESE are the customers we deal with, and want to deal with. If you deal with people like this all day, you'd be buying Benz's too.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw
you could call it a "job site office"...lol

Good idea. Don't they need someone to knock all the weeds down at Gull Island for Jobby Nooner
Old 07-20-2006, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macomb-lawn
Good idea. Don't they need someone to knock all the weeds down at Gull Island for Jobby Nooner
NOOOOOO.... Then where would you poop?

Kevin

Tags
alternative landscaping