LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower For Less
NOOOOOO.... Then where would you poop?

Kevin
Uhm... in the empty cooler... duh

Old 07-20-2006, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How come I can't upload any more pictures I made them 799 x 799 and they are 225KB. It says the pictures are too large

mod help needed...
Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Macomb, you never cease to amaze me. From what I have gathered sifting through your posts, you like to talk up your company quite a bit on this site, any day, at any hour of the day. From what you have said you guys are a new company financed by a group of investors. You are relatively new to the landscaping business. You have very strong beliefs in building an upscale image for your company. And to further lend to your superiority, you are working all over town for the richest clients. Great. Congratulations to you. I really don't know how you have done it.

You see, in the real world, it takes years to establish a reputation throughout the community to the point where the type of clients you describe are demanding your work. But you have done it in a short time by equipping your sales people with Lexxus and Mercedes vehicles. Now we are all supposed to learn from your model? I think you are insane. This business model is ridiculous because you are most certainly hemorrhaging money.

Anyway, it just strikes me as funny how often you post to let us know how business is going for you. I mean in the last 2 months, its like you have a monopoly on this thread. Just look at the last 2 pages. Eight out of eleven posts are yours. Did you used to get in trouble in school for talking too much? I gotta say it is getting a little dull. I just wish the folks who are a little more grounded in reality were posting more often, but it seems they have been chased away by all of the chatter about exotic sod, European luxury fleets, and billboards on the freeway.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you guys deal with people that dont pay??

I was cutting a lawn for this lady in Shelby Twp, When I first signed her up she gave me a sob story about she was on a tight budget.. So being the nice guy that I can be I gave her what I thought was a more than fair price and I even asked her if that would work for her! I figured since I have a guy down the street that I get good $$ from I thought..Ok I can give this lady a break!
First month her bill goes out and I happen to see her and she says "Im sending your money the end of this month!" I thought no biggie cause that would only make her a few days late..

well that money never came..so I had my secretary call her she hung-up on her, so after repeated messages left,etc.. obviously I stopped cutting her lawn! then one day I stopped over there and left a note that I needed her payment and that I was willing to work with her,etc.. but i needed a call, she left a message that she left money for someone to pay me and they didnt but in a couple weeks she would send the money! well that time came and still no payment so i had my secretary call again and she got ahold of this lady..but, the lady gave a sob story about how she lost her job,etc,etc.. but she would call us monday! no call or money on monday..so i drive by there yesterday and I see "The $10.00 guy out there cutting her lawn!! and how do i know it was "The $10.00 guy"?

Because he had lettering on his truck from the hardware store.. and he had no trailer, he just had a "homeowner tractor" in the bed of his truck!! believe me you look at this truck and you know it's "The $10.00 Guy!!!"

Ok here is what pisses me off she cant pay me but she hires this guy to cut her lawn!! So now I want to do something..take legal action (if i can even do that) I cant just let this go.....
Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proficient landscape
How do you guys deal with people that dont pay??

I was cutting a lawn for this lady in Shelby Twp, When I first signed her up she gave me a sob story about she was on a tight budget.. So being the nice guy that I can be I gave her what I thought was a more than fair price and I even asked her if that would work for her! I figured since I have a guy down the street that I get good $$ from I thought..Ok I can give this lady a break!
First month her bill goes out and I happen to see her and she says "Im sending your money the end of this month!" I thought no biggie cause that would only make her a few days late..

well that money never came..so I had my secretary call her she hung-up on her, so after repeated messages left,etc.. obviously I stopped cutting her lawn! then one day I stopped over there and left a note that I needed her payment and that I was willing to work with her,etc.. but i needed a call, she left a message that she left money for someone to pay me and they didnt but in a couple weeks she would send the money! well that time came and still no payment so i had my secretary call again and she got ahold of this lady..but, the lady gave a sob story about how she lost her job,etc,etc.. but she would call us monday! no call or money on monday..so i drive by there yesterday and I see "The $10.00 guy out there cutting her lawn!! and how do i know it was "The $10.00 guy"?

Because he had lettering on his truck from the hardware store.. and he had no trailer, he just had a "homeowner tractor" in the bed of his truck!! believe me you look at this truck and you know it's "The $10.00 Guy!!!"

Ok here is what pisses me off she cant pay me but she hires this guy to cut her lawn!! So now I want to do something..take legal action (if i can even do that) I cant just let this go.....
How much does she actually owe you? I suggest you send her an intent letter that states if payment is not recieved by "insert date" that you will move forward against a property lein and a court order. Now, not saying you could actually get a lein on her house for a few hundred $, but hey, it might just scare her enough to pay up. Just make sure to send it via certified mail and an additional copy via regular mail. Most deadbeats won't sign for certified mail because that is proof they got the bill. So, send it both ways. Just mail the certified first, then wait a few days (to keep her in suspense) and send another copy out via regular mail that she will see (but claim she never got.)

That's what we do. Then, we'll have our attorney call them or send a letter. That usually gets you paid.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macomb-lawn
How much does she actually owe you? I suggest you send her an intent letter that states if payment is not recieved by "insert date" that you will move forward against a property lein and a court order. Now, not saying you could actually get a lein on her house for a few hundred $, but hey, it might just scare her enough to pay up. Just make sure to send it via certified mail and an additional copy via regular mail. Most deadbeats won't sign for certified mail because that is proof they got the bill. So, send it both ways. Just mail the certified first, then wait a few days (to keep her in suspense) and send another copy out via regular mail that she will see (but claim she never got.)

That's what we do. Then, we'll have our attorney call them or send a letter. That usually gets you paid.
Thanks.. It's only like $200.00 but it's the point, and actually I was ok till I saw that guy there that just showed me she has no intention of paying me!! But Ill try that, thanks
Old 07-20-2006, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I am pretty sure (although I am no attorney, but from what I have heard) you can only file a lein for improvements, not maintenance. And if you attept to put a lein on the property for maintenance you can be countersued for your actions. That is my understanding of it anyways. Your best bet would probably be small claims court. No attorney needed, and you can recoup your filing fees. All you'll lose is your time for the court appearance.

Kevin
Old 07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Uhm... in the empty cooler... duh

Ummm..... Why would the cooler be empty??? Poor planning?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I am pretty sure (although I am no attorney, but from what I have heard) you can only file a lein for improvements, not maintenance. And if you attept to put a lein on the property for maintenance you can be countersued for your actions. That is my understanding of it anyways. Your best bet would probably be small claims court. No attorney needed, and you can recoup your filing fees. All you'll lose is your time for the court appearance.

Kevin
Your probably right, but the point isn't about actualy leining their property. It's scaring them into paying. Most of them don't know and aren't smart enough to investigate what you can exactly do and for $200.00 it's too risky to 'blow off' because the possiblity is there. Your more or less gambling on their uncertainty of the legal aspects, but most will just pay "just in case" you are right.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ummm..... Why would the cooler be empty??? Poor planning?
You mean you only bring one cooler We usually bring 3. Two for beer, one for liquor. The first one that is empty becomes the crapper

j/k on the crapper part

Tags
alternative landscaping