Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2006, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeeping
I get great sod for like .90-.95/ yard. That's not unreasonable.

But installing it at 1.40? WTF.
I install at $5/ yard + depending on prep work

Obviously if it's a large install 1000+ yards then I am going to discount the rate
So you would charge let's say $3.00 a yard on the low side? $3000.00 for 1000 yards of sod installed? Who the hell will pay that? The highest we've ever charged is $2.15 a yard and that was a 520 yard install that had a ton of grade work. I think we hauled 6 yards of crap out of the place.

$5.00 a yard

But... hell.... If you can get $5.00 a yard, you call me and I'll send our crews out and do all the work for you at $1.50 a yard. All you gotta do is bill your customer. We'll do everything else. Hell, we'll even give you 30 days to pay us.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still baffled @ $5.00 a yard.

Let's see, we did a house this month that was about 3,000 yards. That would be $15,000.00 Let's say you discount it to $3.00 a yard, it's still $9,000.00.

$0.90 x 3,000 = $2700.00

Let's say it cost us $1,000 in labor, fuel, and expenses, but it wouldn't, but for arguments sake lets say it did. That's still a $5300 profit If I could do one a day, I'd be at the Ferrari dealer by the middle of summer
Old 09-04-2006, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macomb-lawn
I'm still baffled @ $5.00 a yard.

Let's see, we did a house this month that was about 3,000 yards. That would be $15,000.00 Let's say you discount it to $3.00 a yard, it's still $9,000.00.

$0.90 x 3,000 = $2700.00

Let's say it cost us $1,000 in labor, fuel, and expenses, but it wouldn't, but for arguments sake lets say it did. That's still a $5300 profit If I could do one a day, I'd be at the Ferrari dealer by the middle of summer

Macomb, I'm a small guy. I have two trucks. I also still work a good portion of my jobs, and if I'm not there my brother is over seeing things. I have one full time employee and a handful of part timers. I agree my rates are HIGH. I get turned down on many of my estimates - but I always have an abundance of work.. and that's all that matters. If you can get by with charging 1.40 installed, then good for you. But me, I wouldn't raise my brow for that much.

To each his own.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Macomb, I'm a small guy. I have two trucks. I also still work a good portion of my jobs, and if I'm not there my brother is over seeing things. I have one full time employee and a handful of part timers. I agree my rates are HIGH. I get turned down on many of my estimates - but I always have an abundance of work.. and that's all that matters. If you can get by with charging 1.40 installed, then good for you. But me, I wouldn't raise my brow for that much.

To each his own.
I agree.. but let me ask you this. Instead of you and your brother breaking your backs doing the work yourselves, why wouldn't you contract us to do it for you and still make a ton of cash off the job? That would free up your time for more business, and also increase your revenue with only having to print out a bill and collect a check from your customer.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I agree.. but let me ask you this. Instead of you and your brother breaking your backs doing the work yourselves, why wouldn't you contract us to do it for you and still make a ton of cash off the job? That would free up your time for more business, and also increase your revenue with only having to print out a bill and collect a check from your customer.

Ahh yes, the problem there is that sod installs probably make up less than 5% of our seasonal revenue. If we had the jobs I'd sub them out. I rarely get calls for sod installs and it's not something I push for advertising.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ahh yes, the problem there is that sod installs probably make up less than 5% of our seasonal revenue. If we had the jobs I'd sub them out. I rarely get calls for sod installs and it's not something I push for advertising.
See, this is where we all work together and everyone makes money. This is also how our company works. Let's say you start "pushing" sod in your area. Lower the price first.. lol... but let's say you sell it for $2.00 a yard. If I charge you $1.50 a yard, you make $0.50 a yard for selling it. See what I'm getting at? You benefit by making money for doing nothing but billing your customer and selling the job. We make money on the install, plus it increases our total sod volume so it will lower our price in the long run on sod, which inturn will lower your cost. See what I'm getting at? Right now we have about 10 companies that we sub for on a regular basis. That, and we make a ton of our "retail" sales portion where we're charing the $2.00 to the customer directly. If I have 30 companies selling sod that we sub to, and we also keep doing retail jobs, the day will come where we'll buy sod so cheap it won't even be beliveable. If we could do 30,000 yards of sod a week... wow.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
See, this is where we all work together and everyone makes money. This is also how our company works. Let's say you start "pushing" sod in your area. Lower the price first.. lol... but let's say you sell it for $2.00 a yard. If I charge you $1.50 a yard, you make $0.50 a yard for selling it. See what I'm getting at? You benefit by making money for doing nothing but billing your customer and selling the job. We make money on the install, plus it increases our total sod volume so it will lower our price in the long run on sod, which inturn will lower your cost. See what I'm getting at? Right now we have about 10 companies that we sub for on a regular basis. That, and we make a ton of our "retail" sales portion where we're charing the $2.00 to the customer directly. If I have 30 companies selling sod that we sub to, and we also keep doing retail jobs, the day will come where we'll buy sod so cheap it won't even be beliveable. If we could do 30,000 yards of sod a week... wow.

I will definitely keep you in mind next season. I really have no interest in getting into sod, along with many other areas of this industry. Maybe before next season we can get together and talk about sod/sprinkler installs because I'm sure if I started pushing it I could get jobs. The main thing we push is mulch. Delivered and installed for material + $55 premium! Yes, it is steep and some people have told me that to my face and still let us do the job! I've done nearly 1000 yards this season.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I will definitely keep you in mind next season. I really have no interest in getting into sod, along with many other areas of this industry. Maybe before next season we can get together and talk about sod/sprinkler installs because I'm sure if I started pushing it I could get jobs. The main thing we push is mulch. Delivered and installed for material + $55 premium! Yes, it is steep and some people have told me that to my face and still let us do the job! I've done nearly 1000 yards this season.
Works for me.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

macomb-lawn, what is the status of our salter deal, sir?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfscape LLC
macomb-lawn, what is the status of our salter deal, sir?
Dead. Send me a PM.

Tags
alternative landscaping