Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2007, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime Lawn View Post
In Michigan, are we able to file a lien on a property for an unpaid lawn mowing bill? Thanks.
You can take them to court, but no lien. As stated earlier, a lien is only good for improvements and not routine maintenance.
Lawn Service Divisions
Warren - Harrison Twp. - Detroit - Lenox - St. Helen
(586) 634-2904 (313) 885-9090 (989) 443-4380
Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. This is true. Liens can be applied only of materials have been installed (i.e. landscape, irrigation, etc.) for us.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I have 400+ trees Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Ash from 10"-30" diameter around 15-40 feet long. They are in a pile which I'm splitting. All of these trees where cut in Oct-Nov06
Location is off I-94 just west of Ann Arbor
I'm looking to sell half of them. I have a skid loader to move the logs or I can cut them.

If anyone is interested PM me with what your would want/pay
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar View Post
I have 400+ trees Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Ash from 10"-30" diameter around 15-40 feet long. They are in a pile which I'm splitting. All of these trees where cut in Oct-Nov06
Location is off I-94 just west of Ann Arbor
I'm looking to sell half of them. I have a skid loader to move the logs or I can cut them.

If anyone is interested PM me with what your would want/pay
is it straight enough for logs, or just firewood? Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Lawn View Post
You can take them to court, but no lien. As stated earlier, a lien is only good for improvements and not routine maintenance.
Technically this is correct. However, if you take them to court AND win AND they don't satisfy (pay) the judgement within 21 days, THEN you CAN place a lien on the property to have then judegment satisfied. But you cannot lien on the property immediately by placing a workman's lien on the property because the work done was routine mainentance and not an improvement to the property that enhanced the value.

BTW - You can also file a writ of execution to have the judgement satisfied (NO YOU CAN'T HAVE THEN EXECUTED) But, you can have the sheriff seize property to satisfy the judement.

I once had a customer's (former of course) pick-up seized to satisfy a $900 judgement. They seized it, sold it at auction gave me the $900 and then gave him back the remainder - minus about $500 in sheriff fees, state fees, auction fees, towing fees, etc....). Boy was that guy pissed! I loved it - I even video taped them as they seized the truck ( happened to be down the street when it happened). The wife was screaming and yelling and so was the guy - the sheriff almost arrested both of them. It was one of the greatest collections ever - and I've got a lot of collection stories!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriken View Post
is it straight enough for logs, or just firewood? Thanks
Alot of it is quality. Their is also Walnut.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pallas View Post
Technically this is correct. However, if you take them to court AND win AND they don't satisfy (pay) the judgement within 21 days, THEN you CAN place a lien on the property to have then judegment satisfied. But you cannot lien on the property immediately by placing a workman's lien on the property because the work done was routine mainentance and not an improvement to the property that enhanced the value.

BTW - You can also file a writ of execution to have the judgement satisfied (NO YOU CAN'T HAVE THEN EXECUTED) But, you can have the sheriff seize property to satisfy the judement.

I once had a customer's (former of course) pick-up seized to satisfy a $900 judgement. They seized it, sold it at auction gave me the $900 and then gave him back the remainder - minus about $500 in sheriff fees, state fees, auction fees, towing fees, etc....). Boy was that guy pissed! I loved it - I even video taped them as they seized the truck ( happened to be down the street when it happened). The wife was screaming and yelling and so was the guy - the sheriff almost arrested both of them. It was one of the greatest collections ever - and I've got a lot of collection stories!

Now thats how you deal with a deadbeat.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Jason, can I hire you to take care of someone for me down by Windmill? lol
Old 01-06-2007, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea no **** i got a guy down in the points who owes me close to a grand! from november!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously - if you guys want me to collect for you, give me a call or PM me with the details. I'll take a look at what you got. I've been collecting these debts for years and know a lot of the ins and outs...... especially in the Pointes - (they're actually the easiest to collect from).

Tags
alternative landscaping