Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2000, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I just thought Id take a minute to tell you all how sorry I am about your vehicles, for you guys on the eastern half of the states.. Every other post I read here is "rust on frame/chassis/etc" and if there is one thing I hate its rust. Especially on something like a FRAME! I am on my second '77 pickup and they both have had immaculate southern california frames.. if you scraped about 1/8" of road grime off, you'd find like-new metal.. Even surface rust is rare. (body sheet metal is a different story)

One of my last vehicles, at 30 years old (1970 El Camino) had just as nice a frame. The guy I sold it to said he put the car on a lift, pressure washed it, and it too was like new.. had the original undercoating on it, he didnt have to do anything but spray some new undercoating on and its good to go for another 30 years. Heck even the floor panels were in honest to god perfect shape, and beleive me that car was not a garage queen all its life.

Well before I convince anymore of you to move to so-cal, id just like to say, Im sorry My vehicles are like a part of me, and I could not stand to see them rust away.. I'll put up with the stringent smog laws here in Calif. any day, if it means not dealing with the road salts and whatever else causes that orange-red cancer... good day all

mike reeh
Old 10-09-2000, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We might have rust on our chassis, but at least we don't have to worry about our state falling off the continent during an earthquake. Ha ha ha

just kidding,.... I think
Old 10-09-2000, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Mike,I am not sure what board your reading but I don't see any postings about rusty frames,I think I'll go out to the garage and check mine for any rust because i live on the east coast.Hows your paint doing with all those sun rays?
Old 10-09-2000, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill,

I think he's referrring to JCurtis posting about the rusty frame on the dually he is buying.
And you are right, his underbody and frame may be clean and rust free, but the topcoat on the body must take a beating instead.

~Chuck
Old 10-10-2000, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

There is no rust on my frame....

No rust on my frame, just shiny paint

Old 10-11-2000, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey captain kaaaaaaaaaaoooosssssssssss..

where are you located, i got a few frames i want to clean up. Man,you make them look sooooooo pretty...

Seriously where are you from.

JCurtis1@optonline.net
[emailjeff_curtis@stamhosp.chime.org[/email]

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!!!!!

May those who died in these vicious attacks rest in peace, and may the families of the victims find solice in the fact that their loved ones are sitting with God.
Old 10-11-2000, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

CaptKaos is from Alabama.

~Chuck

Old 10-12-2000, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

You beat me to it Chuck....

Thanks JCurtis for the compliments. Not to bad for an outside paintjob. I would be a long drive from Connecticut just for a paint job, but I will pencil you in if you want.

Like Chuck said, I am in Birmingham, Alabama. I might be painting another frame in the next month also. Getting a SWB frame delivered to the house tomorrow.

Old 10-12-2000, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good to see you at this forum Chris! I know you've been registered here a while....

For those of you who haven't looked yet, Capt Kaos (Chris) has some great pics on his website.

~Chuck
Old 10-12-2000, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, OK, Ok...
So I didn't check out your page before I opened my mouth.

S*** happens! and i don't mean what you think I mean...

Seriously, it does look good for an outside job. what paint material did you use? POR15?

I just made an offer to the owner of the dually in question, waiting to hear from him . if I get it, first plan is to power wash the entire frame. Its a Cab and Chassis , so there isn't a bed to worry about.

I may install new springs front and rear ( possibly a 4 inch lift)

I will also have to scrape & paint the plow and spreader. All in all it shouldn't be too bad.

Its actually a 1986 GMC K3500 Sierr. I didn't see the grill before yesterday. It has a 350 automatic.
as well as a Air-Flo stainless steel spreader and a fisher plow with snow foil.

Its definitely a work truck, but if I get it, its gonna be a clean sharp when i am done with it.

JCurtis1@optonline.net
[emailjeff_curtis@stamhosp.chime.org[/email]

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!!!!!

May those who died in these vicious attacks rest in peace, and may the families of the victims find solice in the fact that their loved ones are sitting with God.