Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2003, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Life is good

Three weeks after officially starting my business, I have to say that I am very pleasantly surprised.

Of all the work that I"ve got so far, the customers have been very welcoming and friendly and just love my work and are promising that they'll let all their friends know about what I do. Great! Over time the referrals will start coming in.

I did not expect this kind of positive response from customers. It is a real self-esteem booster every time I go and do a job for somebody. I can't say that I've had this much positive feedback and friendliness in my previous existence as a corporate animal.

In my past life I always felt harrassed and constantly trying to please everybody around me without having the time to get to know people through casual chatting. It was all work, work, work, and it never seemed enough to satisfy. Obviously, since in the end my job went to some lucky guys in India. How's that for deskilling a nation and skilling another at one's own expense. Very smart!

Now, I work my guts out, but I always have very grateful customers. I can stop and chat with them and get to know my neighbourhood this way. Suddenly, my life has become much richer and far more satisfying.

I come home at the end of the day, tired but happy that I have made a few people's lives a little more enjoyable in that they now have a neater garden to relax in and didn't have to put in the hard labour.

Yes, the hourly rate is not as high as it used to be as a software developer, but that is compensated for by the freedom to organise my own work schedule, take breaks whenever I feel I need them, and take time to talk to my customers.

I still do software development on the side, but now I am enjoying it again because the timelines are set by me, not by some whacky unrealistic project manager.

This mowing business is good

Oz.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Suspended

Great story Ozi

Good to see your having fun with the business. Good to take the time and look beyond the tip of your fingers.

Good Luck