Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2003, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

tools for servicing power equipment

Where can one go to buy tools for power equipment service, such as those tachs for the smaller 1 cyl and 2 cycle engines ?? Sears does not have them ?? Is there some online source maybe that has this stuff, did a search and only found stuff in canada and england.... What about here ?? gotta be some company that specializes in this equipment...
Old 09-08-2003, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: tools for servicing power equipment

Quote:
Originally posted by SCAPEASAURUSREX
Where can one go to buy tools for power equipment service, such as those tachs for the smaller 1 cyl and 2 cycle engines ?? Sears does not have them ?? Is there some online source maybe that has this stuff, did a search and only found stuff in canada and england.... What about here ?? gotta be some company that specializes in this equipment...
Cabela's sells the Tiny Tach on line.

I believe the web site is www.cabelas.com
Old 09-09-2003, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I buy alot of my two cycle tools such as the tach that works for both two and four cycle engine from Echo. It cost roughly 80 bucks. you can also track them down from snap-on tools mac tools ect ect but be prepared to pay 150 plus dollars for it from them.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you get one through echo ?? directly ??

I checked MAC tools and its almost $200.oo , It would be way cheaper just to put those tiny tachs like Bruces said on every mahcine.... LOL...
Old 09-09-2003, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

you can go to any Echo dealer and they should be able to order one for you. The tach/hour meter or just plain tachs are a good idea on any machine. Rotory and silver streak both sell a generic add on unit that performs great. most companies also sell them as a after purchase add on or accesory.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Check with your local repair shop and ask the mechanic where he got his from. If you catch them when it's slow in the winter time, he might be nice and take the time to answer any other questions you might have such as troubleshooting tips. I tell alot of my good customers that keep me busy during the summer months to send 1 or two of their guys in during the winter to get a little hands on training on how to properly maintain and their equipment and do some fairly simple repairs. Kind of a mini small engine repair course where they bring in their own equipment and I let them learn on their own stuff at no charge. I let them do the work and just watch and show them some tips and shortcuts. They seem to appreciate this and still send me their more involved repairs and stuff they just don't have time to mess with during the summer months.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some specialty tools are available from Rotary, an aftermarket supplier that some lawnmower shop use to get parts from. High quality tools are available from SnapOn.
Rotary does carry a inductive tach that we use for setting rpms on chainsaws and other small equipment where a direct or photo tach would not work. Inductive tach is a little pricey, but its the only one we found.
Some of the other specialty tools are available only from the equipment manufactures and should be able to be purchased through your local dealer.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Tiny Tach on my atv. Got it from my local Kawasaki dealer. Works great.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Snap-On all the way