Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2003, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Fall seeding

I have been doing work around the house with alot of help from people on this board and I appreciate it.

I did regrading during the summer and planted grass and now I am going to kill of the wild violets that are taking over every inch of space they can find. After that I plan on planting grass seed in the fall. A couple quick questions on it.

Do I need to put straw down? I don't think so but not sure.

Do I need to water it all of the time like I did during the summer?

When should I look to put the seed down? October, November?

I bought seed during the summer and didn't use it all. I am assuming it is still good. Is that correct?
Old 09-10-2003, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Seed should still be good. Straw isn't absolutely necessary, but can be helpful. I didn't use it myself. Water as much as you need to to keep the seed moist at all times until germination. In NJ, you should put the seed down as soon as possible. The window to do this is closing.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

I didn't realize the window was closing, when should I have it done by? I only ask because I just put my weed killer down yesterday and can't plant for a couple of weeks

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-10-2003, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

What kind of weed killer did you use? Don't worry, you still have at least few weeks to get the seed down. Don't wait to long though. I walked outside this morning at 6 to turn my sprinkler on and it was like 40°!
Old 09-10-2003, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I used 2 Ortho ones. One that will kill most weeds and the one that will get rid of wild violets. Sorry I can't remember the exact names
Old 09-11-2003, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Purdue says northern climates (su as north Ill, South MI) should be blanted this week at the latest. I believe this was for KBG. It may vary by your zone, and seed. It is zone 5 here.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i live in nj, and we powerseed well into october with great success. where u at mike? need a hand?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I am in NJ (East Brunswick). My lawn is a disaster at this point but I am trying to rescue it. I am in the process of killing off my wild violets. My front lawn has patches in it that are of different types of grass. I can probably use some better leveling in the yard but for now I can live.

If I had somebody come in and save my lawn for me, is that a big job from what I stated above. When should I have that done, now or in the Spring?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2003, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

definitely NOT in spring. early spring is time to treat for the prevention of weeds, and undesireable grasses. if u need to recondition the lawn in spring, using the chemicals may be a problem, NOT using the chemicals will create a bigger problem. do any reconditioning/repair work now, or in the next few weeks. im in east brunswick also, ill be glad to help u out. estimates, and advice, are completely free of charge. if u need me, let me know
Old 09-11-2003, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

what is your contact info? my email is mike_espn@yahoo.com