Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2003, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Depends on how you buy your equpiment. If you make payments you should profit. If you buy outright, you will lose.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wacamaster
Depends on how you buy your equpiment. If you make payments you should profit. If you buy outright, you will lose.
At the same time, you don't want to be overextended on credit. Don't go crazy buying equipment that you'll be left paying for for the next 5 years, whether or not your business survives. I know a couple guys that went under in their first year who had all kinds of nice equipment, and all kinds of nice equipment payments to make when they went under.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wacamaster
how completely wrong...by looking at your profile i can clearly see that you have not yet had the experience in purchasing/financing much of anything...while financing may work for some people i am a true believer to make purchases as you need them..if you finance you are giving money away, the finance charges...i really don't understand how you will lose if you buy outright...makes no sense...just my opinion..
Old 09-19-2003, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually really ruined my credit for a while because of the financial promotions that I used for my equipment purchases. Now everything I pay in cash for. I am still paying off equipment from only 1 1/2 ago.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

We are strictly trying to not put anything on credit. We started with some cheaper equipment we could afford, and are working toward being able to buy better equipment each year, as we require it.

I agree though, buying on credit has it's advantages sometimes, but I like to go in the store with big fat green pockets, and walk out owing nobody!

Keep 'em coming!
Old 10-13-2003, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

now that the season's getting close to the end, any more help will be greatly appreciated.
We are looking at possibly breaking even, maybe down a few hundred, but this includes a van, and all of our equipment, although modest right now.
Not bad for a first year, plus our name is getting out there nicely!
:blob3: :blob3:
Old 10-13-2003, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets just say that I broke pretty much even the first year.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I took a chance and maxed out a few credit cards, although I did pay a lot in cash to but I couldnt do that for everything. It was stressful knowing that I had some pretty big credit card balances but now I owe only a few grand and for me it was worth it.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

profit first year, be happy if you cleared a dollar

twins_lawn_care
Like I said, be happy if you cleared a dollar profit after purchases,taxes and other fixed expenses.

Been in this trade for over 30 years, 20 on my own and can tell you it's feast or famine. Hopefully it's more feast than famine.

Our trade is tied to how well everybody else is doing. People losing factory jobs, no pay raises, can expect to see more competition and less available clients.

If you cleared money this year, your already on a successful road.

Your ideal of only paying cash for purchases in the beginning will only help you when you buy on credit later on. However, at some point you should learn how to manage purchasing things on credit and paying off in a timely manner.

To be honest, it makes me wonder when somebody has to pay by credit for a $20 purchase.

john
Old 10-14-2003, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It was my first year as well. I bought two new Honda hrc 216 (the best mowers they make) a Honda Trimmer, a 5 x 12 trailer, the best Stihl hedge trimmer they make, vairous hand tools, a circular saw, and a few other minor things.

As of today my net profit is $3,918.00

I will add probably another $2,000 to that number from the rest of the mowing season, leaf cleanups, and one last retaining wall.

I'm VERY pleased with my business so far (I have only been going for 6 months) and I think next year will be a year of HUGE growth. I'm planing on buying a ztr mower, and a bigger truck for my landscaping jobs, and maybe a new trailer (for hauling equipment).