Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2000, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

My first post to this forum and I'm very happy to have found it a few months back. I'll be retiring from the Air Force in Jan 2001 after 24 glorious years and starting my own business in Northwest Florida. The information available on this forum is so valuable to someone just starting the business or just thinking about it. Thanks to all of you for sharing your expertise. How many of you sole proprietors started your business with a business plan and do you know of a good place or sites to get examples of lawn care business plans? I'm not above plagiarizing someone else's plan either.
Old 10-10-2000, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome, Caps! Good to hear your getting into the game, so to speak, and I wish you all the best!

As far as business planning goes, I'm not the right guy for that but I'm sure someone here can help. Matter of fact, I intend to sit down this very evening and draft one up, something I should've done six years ago...

Welcome to Lawnsite!

-TGC
Old 10-10-2000, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I Started my business sophmore year in high school, and my senior year i took a entrepreneurship class and i wrote a business plan. My teacher liked it so much that she took the liberty of enrolling me in a business plan competition with a chance to go to the national competition in orlando FL. Reluctantly i agreed, districts and states was like a walk through the park for me scoring %100 in both competitons. Nationals was a blast, it put me aganst 167 of the best business plans in the U.S. had to offer, i placed 8th in nationals.....next year i will be judging the event at our district level...CAPS, i will try to get u my plan in a downloadable form so u can look it over. I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Eric Estes
Five Star Lawn Care LLC
Old 10-10-2000, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Eric,

I'd love to get a copy of that, too, if you get a chance. Taking a look at an award-winning business plan might be just what the doctor ordered...

-TGC
Old 10-11-2000, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Caps,

Check out nebs.com, too. They've got a Business Plan tool that might help you out as well.

Just go to the main page & click Business Tools on the folder tabs above the main text.

-TGC
Old 10-11-2000, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

While writing down a bunch of stuff may make you feel better the real need for everyone in business for themselves is to forcast expenses and revenue. Constantly monitor your expenses and make sure you have enough cash flowing in to cover those expenses. It sounds really simple yet so many businesses fail because they were not aware why or when they started losing money. It is moronic for any one man operator to lose money when they could go work for the man for at least $15/hour. By the way, Good luck.
Old 10-11-2000, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

CAPS-

Welcome to lawnsite. Try going to [www.quickbooks.com] , they have a business resource section with business plans in it.

Good Luck-

Mike
Greenkeepers
Old 10-11-2000, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

CAPS, I a have a Business Plan & Presentation online that is written for the Green Industry. It is a bit outdated and will never be complete, but could be helpful to you. Go to my site and read the Executive Summary frist. Your comments would be appreacited.

http://www.users.muohio.edu/bernascr
Old 10-27-2000, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Machine:

Enjoyed looking at your business plan. I am currently compiling information for our long overdue plan. Out of curiosity, it looks like you used Power Point for portions of it, is it the same for the hard copy? I want it to look professional and had not thought about power point!
Old 10-27-2000, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are ya'll planning on using your business plans for future venture capitalists? If not I do not see fit for making one up at the beginning of a lawn care business unless for self motivation.