Register free!

Old 09-14-2003, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

spreader setting for tall fescue???

Need to know appx. where to set my new Lesco spreader at for the transition mix of tall fescue sold by Lesco also. I have a 80# spreader with number settings. Want to put down somewhere between 4 to 5 lbs per 1000 and want a setting suggestion to get me close so I can calibrate it from there. All the bag says is so much per 1000. No spreader setting, and I called the distribution center and all he said was to set it about the middle. I might try calling Lesco's tech line Monday. Thanks Marc
Old 09-14-2003, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Arright, this isnt the most time saving process, but it you only have to do it once, so it may be worth it, so you can figure out how to calibrate your spreader.

first you need to know
1 lb of nitrogen per 1,000 sq feet
take into factor what the mix is.. lets say the fert is 10% nitrogen
the area is 10,000 so you need 10 lbs of nitrogren

10 lb N
_____
10% N of the mix = 100lbs of fert

take this number cut if it down to size, take a 500 sq ft area, and measure out 5lbs of fert... while you are walking your 50 sq feet, try to figure out the adjustments you need to make to end up with just about no fert in your spreader. also be sure to chose a pace, pace does effect granular fert spreading.
i think it seems a bit complicated, but its a good way to have your spreader calibrated for the year
Old 09-14-2003, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

whoops, well i just realized your not talking about fert.. well i suggest the same for seed.. measure down a smaller scale space, weigh in the proper amount and try to find a good setting
Old 09-14-2003, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was planning on using the eleven pan method that lesco recommends in their manuel and weighing the seed when done. This will also help me adjust the broadcast pattern from side to side and set the overlap. They also supplied a picture chart to compare amount per thousand (the kind you lie on the ground and spread over). Just was wanting a setting to start at, hopefully save me some time. I've got a large tarp, thought I'd throw it down in my driveway and spread over it to save the seed. Marc
Old 09-14-2003, 07:32 PM
Suspended

Lesco should be able to tell you.

You are using a lesco spreader and Lesco seed. I would ask them

and get one of those calibration keys
Old 09-14-2003, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did ask my lesco distributer, and he told me to open the spreader about half-way. I thought that reply sounded half-@ZZed to me. I will call there tech line tomorrow. Once I figure it out and get it set I will post back here the settings I come up with after calibrating it. Marc
Old 09-14-2003, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think the quickest way to calibrate it, especially for seed, would be to mark out 1000 sq ft, and push spread at your normal pace. then adjust, until you have your 4-5lbs/1000.

2-2.5/500, 1-1.25/250. it should take all of five mins. to get it where you need it.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I use my Lesco spreader to throw seed, I usually set it to 75% down the dial. I think it goes down a little heavier then 4-5 lbs/1000 sq.ft. but has worked for me over and over.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Millenium Member

I set mine at around "N" and go. I measure all lawns so I walk it until I put the planned pounds down. Simple.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finally heard back from Lesco. They have a tech dept you can email questions to. They had some sort of virus and finally got around to replying to their emails. They said to set the spreader around #22. Started calibrating there and had to up it to #28 with the adjustable slide on the third drop hole closed halfway. Seems to be putting down almost 5lbs per thousand of their tall fescue mix. They said the settings for seed could vary year to year because the size of the seed will vary from dry years to wet ones. Who knew? Thanks Marc