Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2003, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

jx 75 transmission

I'm hearing some expensive sounding noises from the transmission area of my JX75. What's the scoop? How expensive? Works for now but I don't know how much longer. Can this be repaired or is simply a R&R job?

Last edited by BoogieDog; 09-18-2003 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I had the one on my JD 14sb replaced to the tune of $95. My JX75 is now starting to act up. Sometimes when you engage the drive it doesn't move until you give it a little push. It almost seams like a gear tooth is missing. I'm thinking of switching brands next year.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Boogiedog,
Not economically rebuildable. It is an R & R job.
Bob,
Use the slack adjuster on the transmission engage cable and take up a little slack on it. That should fix your problem. The cable pivots the trans back to tighten up the drive belt. If cable stretches out a little, belt will slip on the trans pulley. I ran these JD mowers for over 12 years, and know a few little tricks to help overcome the engineering flaws in the machines. E-mail me if you have other questions about the 14SB/JX75/JX85 mowers.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, the adjustment will correct the other problem. I've experienced the same problem and that is no big deal.

What exactly is going on inside that transmission? Why can't it be repaired? Seems as though anything ought to be repairable.

Again, anyone know the cost for sure and if there are any discount suppliers out there?

Last edited by BoogieDog; 09-18-2003 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Usually the noise is due to the bearing or bushing,(I forget which it has), at the top of the case going bad. This is on the shaft, just under the belt pulley. When this goes bad, it usually has ruined the trans. case by the time you notice it. One reason this can go out , is too much tension on the trans. engage cable. This pulls the trans. back too much, and puts extra strain on the bearing/bushing. Also when this goes bad, you get slack around the shaft where it goes into the case. This changes the angle on the shaft, and it then wears out the gear that runs against the bottom of the shaft. Labor to tear into everything, all the little parts, and labor to reassemble, costs more than just changing out the whole trans. Or, that is what my JD dealer told me all those years. I don't think JD wants them to be repairable. They make more money selling whole transmissions.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

That sounds plausible. But it would also seem that it ought to be repairable. I'm pretty good with tools and mechanics. If it holds up until the season ends, I think I will take a look-see.

Thanks a lot for the info.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Help! Help!

I bit the bullet and replaced the transmission and put everything back the way it came off. Now for some reason that I can't explain it is pulling right. The right wheel is not pulling. When I spin the wheels it seems the left wheel locks up differently than the right wheel so I assume this is differential related. It seems to me that the wheels should turn free going backwards. The left wheel locks up going backwards. The right wheel locks up going forward. ??????????????????????????

I looked in the manual to see if any adjustments might account for his and it was useless. I called the dealer and they didn't know why.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Many thanks!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I figured it out the. The driving gear on the right side was reveresed.