Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2003, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Calibration of tank

I've been putting down Momentum at 1.5 ozs. per 1,000 sq. ft. in 2 gals. of water, with a sticker/spreader. At times it seems to be working very slowly. Will I get better results using a little less chemical and less water. Give me some rates of chemical and water that might work better. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

you're ok

The rates you listed are ok. The main thing is to make sure you are getting even coverage when you spray out of a small sprayer.

What coverage do you get out of 2 gallons? If you are covering much more than 2000 sq. ft., you are probably spraying too fine of a mist which is hard to control.

Also keep in mind that summer weeds often die slower because the weed control works quickest when the weed is growing the quickest. In addition, clover, ground ivy , violets and other weeds get a hardening to the leaf which doesn't allow the product to translocate as quick this time of year. Just because the weed isn't dying quickly, doesn't necessarily mean it won't die.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Calibration of tank

Quote:
Originally posted by mwallingford
... Give me some rates of chemical and water that might work better. Thanks.
I spray very low volume.

I use momentum also, at 1.25 oz/.5 gallon/1000 sq.ft. w/spreader-sticker. I have good control over weeds and I love the low volume approach.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:04 AM
Suspended

We found many years ago that the beauty of using back packs and pump sprayers is that the pressure can be altered for specific needs.

Take Dandelion for example. Easy to wet the leaves at just about any pressure, right?

Clover. At high pressure, what happens to the spray, sticker or not? it rolls right off. Low pressure and a finer mist for clover and you get the product to sit right on the leaf.