Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2003, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Castoroil for moles??

Someone asked me today if I could get castoroil in large quantities. They heard that spraying it one the lawn will make moles sick and they will leave. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or is it just another myth? If it works then Great!!! Moles are really bad around hear lately. And if castoroil does work on moles where can I get a lot of it?
Old 09-20-2003, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

hahaha sure it also kills your grass, and D.E.P will sue you so badly if they ever found out about that...

I know this my oil heater tank blew up and went all over my grass, the D.E.P agent said even the slightest drop can cause at least 3 feet of damage...

We got a heavy fine even though it wasnt our fault.

I don't suggest using it...lol...my opinion
www.HometownLawnCare.com
HometownLawnCare@softhome.net
978-447-1752
Old 09-20-2003, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hometown - Don't you think there's a little difference between diesel fuel and castor oil? Being that one is edible and the other isn't.

Were you thinking he said Castrol oil?

Sorry, I don't know if it works, but I can't help but think that there's some cofusion here.

My wife started using a really simple method for moles this year. Basically find a main tunnel, dig a hole, put a coffee can in the hole so that the top is just below the bottom of the tunnel. Then just fill the can 1/2 way with water and wait for the poor little sucker to fall in and drown. Works like a charm.

Not very practical for customers lawns, but we have beets and carrots from our vegetable garden for the first time.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, the product MOLE MED is castor oil. It is a irritant to the moles and will drive them out of the area if you apply when the moles are present. You must irrigate deeply though, or apply prior to a good rain.

So yes castor oil is safe and will help control mole problems.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mole Med will work temporarily to fend off moles. Will need to be reapplied on a regular schedule to remain effective. If you are applying for someone to control moles, you are using a pesticide, and you must be licensed and use products registered for such use. Even if you spend the time to figure out how and at what concentrations to apply plain castor oil, it is illegal to sell this treatment to someone else. (Unless you spend the millions of $$ and supply the mountains of documentation and research to get your concoction licensed with EPA and your state pesticide regulatory agency.)
Old 09-21-2003, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sitting here laughing at my mental image of a yard full of moles, doubled over, barfing their guts out from drinking castor oil.

I had a question about the Mole Med product being a repellant and not a pesticide, but I found the answer. Thanks to Jim, who sent me the website for the US Code on ENVIRONMENTAL PESTICIDE CONTROL licensing, I got this definition...

Quote:
(a) Active ingredient - The term ''active ingredient'' means -

(1) in the case of a pesticide other than a plant regulator, defoliant, desiccant, or nitrogen stabilizer, an ingredient which will prevent, destroy, repel, or mitigate any pest;
So clearly you need the license to apply Mole Med.

Many homeowners use water traps on their own property to contol chipmunks and squirrels. Haven't heard of it for moles, but it makes some sense. Getting rid of the bodies is easy for homeowners with hot compost piles going but for others they sometimes wish they had called in someone else to handle the burials. One guy reported getting 15 chipmunks in one night. I guess they can't tread water very long.

I'm not aware of an organic way to handle moles that would be practical for professionals. Live trapping with something like a Hav-A-Heart trap? Dogs? Cats? Trapping might work for you.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

ahahahaha I was thinking Castrol, sorry ahahah
www.HometownLawnCare.com
HometownLawnCare@softhome.net
978-447-1752
Old 09-21-2003, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess according to the definition of a pesticide it would be illigal for a non liscenced person to apply limestone to a lawn because it repels ticks. That makes sense. NOT.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Castoroil for moles??

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulJ
Someone asked me today if I could get castoroil in large quantities. They heard that spraying it one the lawn will make moles sick and they will leave. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or is it just another myth? If it works then Great!!! Moles are really bad around hear lately. And if castoroil does work on moles where can I get a lot of it?

First thank you all for your responses.
I am licensed to apply pesticides but nebraska added a "vertebrates" category lately requiring more licensing. I do not plan on getting this category or combating these critters for pay for customers.
The original question was from my wifes boss who I do fert and weed treatments for. He has a big mole problem and had heard about castoroil and asked if I knew where to get some. Just thought I would ask here. I did see mole-med and some other products in a gemplers catalog that I might show him. I have already had to tell a couple customers that I wasn't licensed to go after moles and wasn't sure what to do against them. I would like to be able to give them some suggestions even if I can't actually do the treatment.

again thanks for the help and if you have any more idead let me know.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is wrong with trapping, Paul? Especially for a DIYer, it helps to have a carcass so you know you are accomplishing something. Even if you have several in the area, you don't feel as frustrated if you actually see you are reducing the population.

Here's a good doc on moles, if you want to give him something in print: <a href="http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/ext/targets/ADM/ADMPDF/ADM-10.pdf">ADM-10</a>.