Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2000, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a client with a honeylocust (trash tree) that is infested with borers. I had the arborist cut a large dead portion out that has allready been seriously affected. Then sprayed the remaining portion of the tree with lindane oil.
Now the borers are currently present again and I want to know what can be done to prevent losing the whole tree. The arborist tells me the whole tree will eventually die due to increasing decline. What else if anything can be done or applied to prevent future damage or loss? Are there any other products besides lindane oil that can be applied? Any input or responses are greatly appreciated, thanks!

We kick the competition in the grass!
Old 10-12-2000, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

GET THE SAW READY

FIRST THE BAD THING ABOUT BORERS IS THAT ONCE THE DAMAGE IS
IS DONE IT IS UNREVERSABLE. THE TUNNELING WELL NEVER HEAL.
YOU SHOULD TALK WITH YOUR CUSTOMER AND ADVISE THEM OF THIS ISSUE. IN MY FIELD THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO BEFOE USING ANY TYPE OF CHEMICAL. LOCUST SPECIES ARE A VERY HARDY TREE.
IF THE CUSTOMER WISHES TO SAVE THIS TREE TRY USING MERIT
INSECTICDE ( IMADACLOPRID)WSP INJECT INTO THE ROOT ZONE AS IF YOU WERE GOING TO SUB SURFACE FEED THE TREE. DO THIS NOW THROUGH JANUARY.APPLY GOOD FERTILIZER WITH THIS APPLICATION SUCH AS DOGGETTS 32-7-7 TREE FERT. IF ANY DURSBAN THAT IS LEFT OVER FROM LAST SEASON CAN BE APPLIED TO THE TRUNK IN LATE SPRING ( CHECK WITH YOUR EXTENSION SERVICE FOR ADULT ACTIVITY).
Old 10-13-2000, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Durban pro will kill the borer if you can find any , but there is a product that works really well to kill the borer its called bidrin and is a Maujet injection. i have had great luck with controling borer with this. it has to be applied corectlybut the result are amazing.