Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2003, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

HIghest quality fertilizer?

I take care of about 3 acres of grass. pH is 6.8-7.1 and it is all covered in TAll FEscue. My last soil analysis said to only add nitrogen. P and K were Very High.

I have searched for 3 hrs on this board and am tired of looking. IS there a general consensus as to which companies make the highest quality fertilizer? I'm not gonna re-hash what all I've read. I've used Rainbow Agricultural, Par Ex, IBDU and Sulfur Coated Urea, and Urea. I only fertilize in the fall from Sept to Dec. I go for 3lb N/1000 total. Where I've been going has changed and depending on who's working, I get different answers. I went last week to buy some for fert for fall app and because it was a "show" setup, I ended up talking with 3 different people at different times with the same company an got 3 different answers. If I were to ask you as a professional, what would you say? SHould I just say, "PHOOEY," spit and go follow the Scott's program?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Was there a HUGE amount of difference in what the 3 people you talked to recommended or just minor variations? I wouldn't agonize over it too much. Scotts always worked good for me, but now that I'm looking at it from a business perspective, it seems awfully expensive.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, one said to use a slow release and another said to use a quick release and the other guy was selling me the only one he knew anything about. WHen I asked him about the slow release vs the quick release he started to go and get one of the guys I had already talked to so I said, "I'll just take the one you recommend."
Old 09-22-2003, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Scotts is a good benchmark for the average homeowner to care for his or her lawn...it's also a good benchmark for the professional as well...the 4 step program is a good one although it is a little expensive....you can sometimes get contractor grade or special pricing from a dealer and ask specifically for scotts products...they should help you out
i'd genreally go with a quick release if i am establishing a lawn and a slow release with an already existing lawn...a starter fert is a good example of this

hope this helps

steve
Old 09-22-2003, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A very good qulaity fertilizer is Roots products. You can find them at www.Rootsinc.com

If i could figure out how to make money using roots for all of my customers -- I would definitely do it.

They are expensive though. 3 acres would cost you an arm and a leg -- but you would be putting very high quality stuff down.

Sustane also make sa good product. More reasonable then roots.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 09-23-2003, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Blue Chip nitroform or Nutralene

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 09-26-2003, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

This definitely depends on what you want to do. The ideal way to fertilize grass is to give it a little at a time for most of the year. This can be done with a slow release nitrogen source or a spoon-feeding program with soluble nitrogen (urea). If you want to go the slow relase route, go with organics (Nature Safe), or IBDU, a product that I strongly recommend. It sounds like you have used it since you mentioned ParEx. IBDU can be placed down at a high rate and will feed over a period of 16 weeks or so, although it takes a few weeks to activate. You will only need 2 apps a year, and you could easily put down 3 lbs in one application. IBDU is also the best fertilizer for a dormant application. In my opinion SCU/PCU urea is not as good. It does release over time, but depends on the quality of the coating.

Spoon-feeding works if you want to keep up with it, as you have great control as to how much N you want to apply. Of course urea is cheap and predictible, but plan to lose half of it due to volitization. That said, calibrate, double-check, and go at it.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The problem with IDBU, is that it releases nitrogen every time it rains or it is watered. If you get a lot of rain, you're getting a lot of nitrogen release. IDBU is more suited for golf courses, because they water generally every night. Nutralene will release over a 16 week period also, and with more control than IDBU. For a homeowner, Nutralene would be the best, followed by BC Nitroform, then Poly coated. But I also agree, if the person has the time to do it, spoon feeding is a very good method.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 09-27-2003, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: HIghest quality fertilizer?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gebo
IS there a general consensus as to which companies make the highest quality fertilizer?
That is like asking which company makes the highest quality car?

Rather than which company, focus on what you want. You mentioned you want only N. So find a product that is something like 6-0-0. The NPK ratio is more important for YOU than who makes it.

Then ask yourself if you want slow or quick release?
Organic or chemicals?
Liquid or granule?
Supplemental nutrients or just N?

So the name on the bag is NOT as important as what is IN the bag. A 18-3-3 urea from Scotts is going the be the same urea as the 18-3-3 bag with Joes on the label.

Where you are only applying once per year slow release is the best for you. But only once per year is NOT the best for the lawn.

Quick release is like when you have the in-laws are coming in town in two weeks and your lawn looks pale and you know the old man is gonna bitc about the lawn the grand-kids are playing on.

Quality turf starts with feeding the soil(grass). If you were feeding your kids, what would you look for in the food?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: Re: HIghest quality fertilizer?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
That is like asking which company makes the highest quality car?//////////// That's easy...LEXUS

Then ask yourself if you want slow or quick release? ///////// Whichever is better

Organic or chemicals?///////// Chemicals for sure

Liquid or granule? /////// Granule

Supplemental nutrients or just N? ////// Just N for now. Supplemental later.

So the name on the bag is NOT as important as what is IN the bag. /////// I know, I was just trying to get in a high quality area, that's all. I figured a company name would be easier. I could then go and look at ingredients and determine what ingredients are "best."

A 18-3-3 urea from Scotts is going the be the same urea as the 18-3-3 bag with Joes on the label. /////// I manufactured and sold dairy feed for 15 years and this statement leads me to believe you are full of fertilizer. I could make a cheap feed and I could make a super expensive, high quality feed and the tags would read the same. Been there...done that. If you are trying to say "salt" is "salt," I agree. I know there is a lot more to a fertilizer than what it says on the tag.

Where you are only applying once per year slow release is the best for you. But only once per year is NOT the best for the lawn. //////// I apply it 3 times/year...Sept, Oct and Dec according to local university's recommendation. I'm starting to listen to you and may change my routine.

Quality turf starts with feeding the soil(grass). If you were feeding your kids, what would you look for in the food? ///// My point precisely. THat's why I asked the question as to who are the "high quality" leaders in fertilizer field. I'm looking for the best food for my lawn.

Last edited by Gebo; 09-29-2003 at 11:23 PM.