Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-13-2000, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mean to sound like a mower hypercondriac or something, but lately, I've been experiencing a strange noise from my Lazer deck. It's almost a "roar", not just the usual hum. This is with single blades. Does, or has anyone ever experienced this?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-13-2000, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like a bad spindle,or idler bearing.wiggle each spindle or spin them slowly to feel for roughness.If this doesnt find it,take off deck belt and with leather gloves on,spin each spindle as fast as gou can and listen to which one is noisey.You might not be greasing them enough or its just time for new ones.I carry a spare set for my DC,because you never know when or where one will let go.They are easy to change on the DC.
Old 10-13-2000, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Runner-

Have you hit anything lately? How many hours are on the machine. I could be a bent or unballanced blade or as John D. said it may be a bad spindle or bearing. The Lazer spindles are not that hard to change either.

Mike
Greenkeepers
Old 10-13-2000, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

with the mower running and the blades on take a piece of heater hose about 2 or three feet long and put it on or next to each spindle and put yur ear up to .it you will be able to tell witch one is bad if there is a bad one
Old 10-14-2000, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This may sound funny but on our Toro side dicharge decks if we mow when its wet or too much grass build up uder deck the blades make alot more noise do to the amount of build up of grass in deck (If your deck is clean forget i posted this)
Old 10-14-2000, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

How old is your lazer? Take a look at the Idler pulleysand spindles,but if you have a 60" deck, check the torque on the top-side nuts that attach to the spindle shaft. When this loose torque, they make a slight roar and destroy the key and shaft. Your spindles should be the non-greaseable type. Exmark has made it expensive to replace the bearings (60.00) if you have to, but you can purchase the spindle housing and bearings as a assemble, for 20.00 more. It's alot easier to change.
Old 10-14-2000, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Encore was pretty loud. Enough that a client complained, and the noise was coming from bad spindle bearings and a bad idler pulley bearing. $25 worth of parts and a couple of hours on a rainy day and it's as good as new.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA