Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-26-2003, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I think with the way telemarketers and salespeople have pushed all of us, it has made us more aware of every attempt to sell we are faced with. Some of the products are worthy of marketing, some aren't. I am tired of the bombardment of unsolicited sales, if you post a problem and ask for advise, isn't that the same as going to your dealer and doing the same thing. If he has a product that will help you, won't he show it to you and try to sell. The sponsors are the same way, but they also need to show some discretion in taking every vaugue situation to PUSH their product. I think there is a line to draw when you're pushing your product and when you're selling. To many salespeople it the same thing, but we all know that it isn't. Practice discretion and respect, while being honest; this attitude will show and draw you respect and also sales.

Old 09-26-2003, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Think of it this way: everyone hates telemarketing, but what if you could agree to take a call or two a day in return for your phone bill being paid in full? That's kinda what's happening here. Another thing, these guys chiming in on a thread beats the heck out of those annoying pop up ads that you see all over the internet these days. I will say this though - if I was a sponsor and I wanted to push my product by contributing to threads, I'd be dang sure to use proper English and spelling, I'd be sure to communicate effectively and I would have FACTS about my product readily available. Otherwise I would be afraid of doing more harm than good. Some sponsors do this. Others might want to consider this a little hint.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Even on the computer this is still print media IMO. jUst like reading a newspaper. If something looks like an add and you don't want to read it then don't read it.
The attitude that sponsors should post is what has driven some sponsors away. If we loose sponsors we loose lawnsite.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like gopher. And I don't have a need for his products yet, he his very helpfull.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do have to agree to a certain point that it seems like they don't offer insite to the posts, they just try to push their project. But like others have said before, just ignore them, that is exactly what I do.
My fav sponser on this site has to be team gopher though. He offers great advice.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Think of it this way: everyone hates telemarketing, but what if you could agree to take a call or two a day in return for your phone bill being paid in full? That's kinda what's happening here. Another thing, these guys chiming in on a thread beats the heck out of those annoying pop up ads that you see all over the internet these days.
Listing to 15-30 telemarketing calls a month would NOT be worth them paying a $20 phone bill. I'd be more inclined to pay an additional $20 a month to block them.

You still deal with popups? There have been dozens of different popup blockers available for years, I haven't seen an unwanted popup for a very long time.

Even so I agree with PaulJ, if you don't want to read it skip the post or as another suggested add them to your ignore list, like people who use the blink tag in their signature line.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand that Flex-Deck and Meg-Mo chime in a lot with the same old pitch, but let's face it, they are trying to make a living selling products they have spent a lot of time on. Maybe people are sick of seeing your flyers on their doorstep. Does that mean you'll stop? Not if you're smart...

I figure it this way - Either don't read them or just ask LawnSite to refund your membership fee.

Oh yeah, it's FREE!

There is unrest in the Forest, there is trouble with the Trees
for the Maples want more sunlight and the Oaks ignore their pleas..
Old 09-26-2003, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not seen Brad (Flex Deck) post anything about his product since he gave up being a sponsor so give it a rest. Like others have said skim over the stuff you do not want to read and move on.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I must say that I love Team Gopher. He/She/It is the best. Always offers pertinent threads or information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...what would I do without these jerks anyway - besides, all my friends are here."

d.h.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am kind of sick of people always crying