Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2003, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

If anyone wants to know how to get rid of pop ups without a pop up proggie, PM me and let me know. I'm not talking about the ones you get from some sites, but the little grey box pop ups that will arise at any given time. Very simple fix, and anyone can do it.

As for sponsors, this is how I feel. Let them do their job, as they let us do ours. Now, if someone makes a post about a diseased shrub, and then someone chimes in with Meg Mo blades or flex deck to cure them, that's just wrong. Other than that, it's a CHOICE they are allowing us to make, by using, trying, or denying their product. I, for one, do not know what all the sponsors' products are capable of, therefor I find it beneficial to read their posts.

~Nest
Old 09-26-2003, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well like i said if i was looking for new mower blades i have no problem having mega mow chime in.but other than that if i post about a engine problem and he chimes in with the same old you need mega mow blades deal i don't see how thats helping.then everyone starts talking about his product on my thread.i don't see the point in doing that.if my customer has something wrong with the wiring in there house i don't say you need BMG landscaping service.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the support - Since I am not a sponsor anymore, I do not think you have seen or heard anything resembling a sales pitch for the Flex-Deck - I have done a thread or two as a member discussing things I do as a mower type person - Everyone else on this site does that and I should have the same rights to discuss my machines, my type of mowing, and what we do, etc etc. I see bunches of threads that are redundant to say the least - examples

1. What trailer do I buy - enclosed or open
2. What mower is best - Dixie or eXmark (Go to the dealer that sells either one - Just go to the best dealer - Lots of good mower brands out there - Just arn't that many good dealers.
3. Look at my stripes. - Whoa - around here they want the pool table look

and it goes on.

BTW - here is a pool table look yard I do
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2003, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I think sponsors on here do a great job as far as support and information. The problem that I've noticed most is from meg-mo and for all I know they could be a great product and they probably are but I'm with everybody else they do not need to start blowing wind about meg-mo blades solving every problem that every commercial cutter ever has. It just seems that some threads that people really need welp with something turn into a 2:00 a.m. infomercial. One sponsor that I will say nothing bad about is team gopher they post but in a respectable and useful manner.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Communicating in a thread is just like it would be standing around in a circle somewhere shooting the b.s. Everyone is on topic for a while, then somebody drifts & maybe you run with it for a bit. Then you get back on topic & so on. Sometimes the drifting takes you to a good place sometimes not. Just a part of conversation but I can understand how it might be frustrating sometimes.

I'll add another big thumbs up for Gopher. Lots of great input from someone that obviously understands what the issues arre and puts in time researching the archives. I think involvement and attention to particulars like this says a lot.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i shouldn't say that im mad at these people.i understand what there doing but i think it should be toned down a little.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnK

You still deal with popups? There have been dozens of different popup blockers available for years, I haven't seen an unwanted popup for a very long time.
Best popup stopper is using Mozilla for your browser. Get rid of MS. Mozilla lets you not only block popups, but also not those annoying rotating graphics.

Plus it's free. to get it go to http://www.mozilla.org
I don't believe too much in looking back. If you've done well, you're too inclined to become smug. If you've done poorly, you're inclined to become discouraged. Keep looking ahead - yesterday's done with - think about today and tomorrow. - George S. May
Old 09-26-2003, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I never said I was using IE, I've been using Mozilla since before the 1.0 release, but most people, 90% +, do still use IE and they need to download some other third party popup blocker.

The Google Toolbar is a good popup blocker for IE and it's free. http://toolbar.google.com/

Crazybrowser is good too, it gives IE tabbed browsing like Mozilla and includes popup blocking. http://www.crazybrowser.com/
Old 09-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Sponsor

As a new sponsor here is my two bits. I agree that posting an aggressive sales pitch on posts that are not related to the product in question is annoying. Further, it reduces sponsor credibility, so that when there is a legitimate chance to discuss my product in a relevant thread people are likely to discount what I have to say.
When someone posts "Need a bagger for Dixie Chopper" or something similar, I feel that as a sponsor, I should post a respectful suggestion to check out my product. Occasionally, I will see an interesting post on a topic having nothing to do with my product that I would like to chime in on without any sales pitch. I spent 20 years in the Landscape maintenance business so I feel this is legit. The only advertising this provides is that people see my name and that I am a sponsor. It also may build a bit of credibility with the community and also is fun to do.

Peter Andonian
Accelerator
Old 09-26-2003, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnK
I never said I was using IE, I've been using Mozilla since before the 1.0 release, but most people, 90% +, do still use IE and they need to download some other third party popup blocker.

The Google Toolbar is a good popup blocker for IE and it's free. http://toolbar.google.com/

Crazybrowser is good too, it gives IE tabbed browsing like Mozilla and includes popup blocking. http://www.crazybrowser.com/
John - Never seen the crazy browser before. Looks like they took part of their layout from Mozilla, but still need IE6 for some of it's features. But since I personally do not use a MS OS and only use Linux. Windows OS are only on my wife's and kids computers.

But if your looking for a full featured browser stay with Mozilla. It offers an email program that want let many of the virus's in your door such as Outlook. Or even try Pegasus email for a better email software. But for many with your own web site it alss offers a what you see is what you get html editor.
I don't believe too much in looking back. If you've done well, you're too inclined to become smug. If you've done poorly, you're inclined to become discouraged. Keep looking ahead - yesterday's done with - think about today and tomorrow. - George S. May