Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-09-2003, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would sell for the right price, and open a business fixing the chocolate shake machines at mcdonalds, because they are always broken.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

dvmcmrhp52 you said you would start something else,what would it be? Why did you leave the machining trade?
Old 11-09-2003, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

going, going, gone sold off most of it was the best thing i ever did the money was not that great but what the hell the future is looking good
Old 11-09-2003, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Dustycedar what are you doing now that you sold off your business?
Old 11-09-2003, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

working into organic lawn care and remodeling homes in the winter i love demolition
Old 11-14-2003, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't sell!! Trying to see how far i can take this business. Want to make $500K in a year in the future, then maybe i'll sell.... Naahhhh!!!
"To have a nice, green, weed free lawn is a LUXURY. This holds true for a Cadillac pick-up. We don't have to have one, we just want it! Our Cadillac owning customers want the nice lawn. They paid for the Caddi, why not the lawn?" The moral here folks is, Charge Accordingly!

http://www.gardenplace.com/main.asp?page_id=38
www.j-thomas.com
www.weedalert.com
Old 11-14-2003, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Rock,
The machining trades all have an over capacity problem.Too many companies, not enough work to keep pricing up.The trade and industry in general has stayed flat for quite some time,until things flush themselves out which will still take years.

As for what else would I do, Woodworking,forestry,deck building......
just a few ideas.
I wouldn't be selling because I don't like it,New challenges are just fun to me.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Dvmcmrhp52 what would you like to do in the forestry industry? Funny that you picked that one,since that is what my dad has done for 30 years(started his own business at 18),also my grandpa was in the timber industry his whole life as well as my great-grandpa. I am the first one in my family in 4 generations not to go into the timber industry. I really loved it,done it my whole life untill i graduated,then decided to get into big time auto racing(Winston Cup)and been doing it ever since. I've been a machinist the whole time and love every minute of it. That's all i've ever wanted to do is be a machinist in Winston Cup racing. I also still have the desire to someday own my own business though,probably still machining related.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Machining in the racing industry is probably somewhat protected from the average competition....It is a niche market.
as for the forestry industry,Logging would be great fun but it's not that lucrative around here. Again enough people doing it to keep pricing down. Forest managemant was always something I was interested in since I was young....Always wanted to be a forester.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Dvmcmrhp52 logging around here is very lucrative. The timber industry is what keeps this area alive. Most of the big furniture companies in the world are here. We have Stanley furniture,Bassett furniture,American furniture,Vaughn furniture,and a few smaller ones,between all of them they employ several thousand people. We also have one of the largest flooring plants in the U.S. here also. There are several large sawmills around here. My dad still has his sawmill,and still does some logging also,but he buys most of his logs now from other loggers. I love logging myself,just decided to give something else a shot. I quess the biggest thing was i wanted to prove that i could make it on my own without any help from anyone else. I got into racing on my own with no help from anyone,and have let my work speak for itself ever since. My dad had a full paid scholarship to go to college for forestry and didn't do it(started his business instead). He still says to this day not going to college to be a forester is the biggest mistake that he has ever made.