View Poll Results: What do you think
This lawn is beautiful 4 19.05%
This lawn is weedy 9 42.86%
My clients want a lawn like this 2 9.52%
My clients would fire me for this lawn 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2003, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mowerbabe,we all have blonde tendencies at times.

As for a customer not wanting a lawn that looks like this one ....Then don't give them a lawn that looks like this one.
This picture is only ONE option of an organic program.
Nice try though dan.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GIH:

It certainly isn't to hard to get your knickers in a twist.

Quote:
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
Dan, it appears your respirator mask is not working too well....

Given the fact that the picture is so far away and no one on here could even tell it has clover-- your 'planted' 5 responses mean NOTHING in 8 replies.

"My customer would fire me for this" for 5 responses???? GIVE ME a BREAK! Again, the photo doesn't even reveal the clover. The photo shows a GREEN nicely mowed lawn with lines straighter than 50% of the turf photos on this site!

You should go to work for some political party promoting their polls. Good one, you made me laugh!

BTW if you do not have permission to post that photo you are violating copyright law and at least one of the "COMMANDMENTS of lawnsite....

And as far as planted responses well yes because Yardmonkey voted once for each response so in reality the poll is 100% the client would fire me. More people can respond if they like.

Send over the copyright police and let Lawnsite administrators ban me. While you are at it send over the crayon police because I don't colour between the lines.

One other thing You might notice that I am not afraid to post using my real name and location. I can be found in the phone book. Can't say the same about you. I have always found the more insecure people are in their beliefs the more they hide behind anonymity.

dvmcmrhp52: You are 100% right. It is only one option. I am still trying to find the balance of the high cost of organics compared to synthetic, the slower response time for organics as compared to synthetics and so far inconsistent results for organics, plus the fact that there still arn't organic solutions for all of the problems that occur with turf. I have concerns with what my clients expect in the way of quality. Until these concerns are answered I will be sitting on the fence questioning everything but I will also keep trying all methods to get my answers.

Dan
Old 10-08-2003, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Dan,
I guess the whole point is that your customers have to want it and be educated on what organics can and cannot do.An organic lawn will just not satisfy some people no matter what....They will stay synthetic.Others will move to organics in time or slowly,and still others won't have it any other way but organic.As time goes on and more communities legislate or put controls on fert usage
the demand for organic solutions will increase. My Idea is to be ahead of that curve, As well as slow down the use of synthetics that do have an impact on the environment.(no I'm not a tree hugger.I'm a conservationist not a preservationist.)
Old 10-08-2003, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dvmcmrhp52

I think you and I are very much on the same wave link. Stay ahead of the the curve, try new things and use what is safe and works and keeps you in business.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As I indicated in my response, I did not vote in the poll. I guess I figured correctly that you were using this to argue that organics are not practical or profitable. As others have responded, this picture is not what most organic lawn care professionals would offer. I am also quite sure that probably millions of people in this country would be happy with that lawn. Myself, as a lawn care professional, I don't like seeing clover in a lawn. For most organic LCO's I'm sure the goal for most customers would be a nice healthy weed-free grass lawn.

In my opinion the cornerstone of organic lawncare is mulch-mowing. Combining this with other mowing practices (don't mow too low, don't mow too infrequently) may be all that is needed to maintain a very nice lawn. Some lawns may like to have some fertilizer - and there are countless organic options. And proper irrigation is another factor - many people over-water which can contribute to weed problems. One of the nicest, greenest, thickest (and weed-free) lawns I mow was not fertilized or watered at all this year (or probably for several years previously).

Once a healthy lawn is established it can be very easy to maintain it organically. The real challenge is in transforming weedy lawns without using poisons.

And I have to admit, after much reading here, I am starting to warm up to the idea that it may be an acceptable option to sometimes zap a lawn with a chemical herbicide just to get things under control to start with. Once the weeds are gone, the goal would be to develop healthy turf, and this in itself should take care of most weed problems.

As far as a business niche goes, if most people want chemicals and don't ever want to see a single weed, OK there are many LCOs around to take care of them. But if someone wants to be a little more eco-friendly - there are at this time only a very few professionals offering organic lawncare. High demand and low supply can make for a profitable situation. I'm not out to run some kind of scam to make a quick buck, but I certainly would not see organic lawn care as unprofitable or impractical. In fact it is the "wave of the future"........
Old 10-08-2003, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, mowing practices are a very important part of maintaining a healthy lawn. Last season i saw major improvement on the golf courses i look after from just consistent mowing. Mowing in a different direction every time, mowing high.

I also have seen good results from letting the grass grow tall and not cutting as often, i think the result is that the roots go deeper when thegrass is left to grow.

Another important point is that the condition of the turf varies considerably at different times during the growing season regardless of fertiliztion and mowing practices.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ahhhh,A good healthy exchange of Ideas......This is good....
Old 10-10-2003, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL...the lawn on top looked a lot like my lawn. And the second picture looked kind of like another one that I saw.

Speaking of overmowing a lawn, I wonder if you can kill a lawn by cutting it too low and too often. It baffles me how my next door neighbor does this and his grass seems to take whatever he dishes out. I've never seen him fertilize it. Maybe it is just super grass....LOL

About having a healthy lawn, my father swears by letting the grass grow to about a foot tall and then mowing it. Seems to work for him and it works well on our lawn. He never fertilizes or waters his lawn and neither do I. I only wish I could find a way to prevent dandelions and other weeds from sprouting. They grow so quick and they make the lawn look unkept. I would like to use an organic weed killer (little one in the house) if there is any.

I was thinking about starting a little lawn mowing business. What are the minimum supplies you need and how do you start? Oh, and do I need to worry about mr. tax man?
Old 10-10-2003, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dan deutekom

Send over the copyright police and let Lawnsite administrators ban me. While you are at it send over the crayon police because I don't colour between the lines.
Given they probably would slap you on the hand for using their image without permission but I highly doubt they'd ban you.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member