Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2003, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the best powerseeder???

i have an older salsco seeder now i do like it an it works well just getting a little age on it an next year i am buying a new one . whats the best seeder for qualityjob, easy to manuver, an price . please let me know what you guys think thanks george
Old 10-01-2003, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will probably get beat up badly for this one, but we rent bluebird and have always been happy. You heard me..r-e-n-t. But they seem to be a good machine, I figure if it can handle being a rental (high abuse) then it must be tough. jmo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...what would I do without these jerks anyway - besides, all my friends are here."

d.h.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mower_babe
sorry to tell ya but bluebird seeders are junk . they throw the seed in front an then it slices it in . not a true seeder in my book . you would be better off dethacthing an then seeding over with a regular push type seeder get about the same results . i want a seeding that slices an dethatches then cuts in an drops seed from the rear . this salsco i have is an awesome seeder i mite just have to buy a new salsco for 5900 thanks for the input
Old 10-01-2003, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the one that Lesco uses, although, it works on the same principle that George describes. Seems to give US great results, though.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's my baby...Jacobsen Aero King 1321. On the front has verticutting knives, behind them are discs that ride in the slits, then down comes the seed from a hopper up above and drops the seed directly into the slit.....seed to soil contact is what it's all about. It's good for larger areas 5K sq ft and above with not a lot of obstacles. You might check into the Ryan Mataway, another textron product and has a good reputation.
Attached Images

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 10-01-2003, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

And the rear
Attached Images

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 10-01-2003, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

The Ryan Mataway Overseeder is the best in my humble opinion. The discs slice the soil and the seeder tube is towards the rear of each disc and the seed drops into the slice. Big, heavy machine but you get 80% germination plus. Great unit.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baddboygeorge
they throw the seed in front an then it slices it in . not a true seeder in my book . you would be better off dethacthing an then seeding over with a regular push type seeder get about the same results .
hey-thanks for telling me baddboy-maybe the reason why we have success is because anytime we use them, we aerate first. Simply because that is how it works out...never used the seeder on its own...hmmmm...now you got me wondering!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...what would I do without these jerks anyway - besides, all my friends are here."

d.h.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for all the feedback my salsco is much more of a seeder than that jacobsen that is for sure . i am looking for something tough as well i do alot of powerseeding so i need something really durable . i havent seen a seeder yet built like this salsco model . if i cant find another one that i guess a new salco is what i am gonna get
Old 10-20-2005, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi! Was reading an older thread on slitseeders and saw the pic of your jacobsen AeroSedder? It looks like an improved Ryan Mataway, with thwe handles it seems like it would be pretty maneuverable.

What has been your experience with the machine? We do lawns in the 3000-8000 sq ft area. Is thsi machine heavy and bulky? Self-propelled? How is it on slopes and uneven soil?

How much did it cost and how has the mainetenance and reliability been?

Thanks so much!

Lawn Crew