Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2000, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took out my second sliding glass door in my illustrious 10 years as a lawn mowing guy. First one was eight years ago and really shook me up. The most recent happened in July this year. I heard that nasty thump and thought..."I've heard that before...Oh yea ...I remember that sound...Gee I don't think that that sliding glass door should have that frosted look...
Old 10-15-2000, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Back in March I was hualing some mulch on my trailer and had a wheelbarrow in the bed of my truck. Well got all the mulch unloaded and took the wheelbarrow out of the bed, only thing I did wrong was forgot to close the tailgate. I have a 98 Tacoma and the jack on my trailer is right inline with the tailgate(about 4" from the end). This is fine if you could go straight all the time but when I turned that first curve I heard a crunching sound. I had no idea what it was so I kept on going and turned the other way, heard it again. When I went to drop the trailer I realized how stupid I really was. It put two big creases in each side of my tailgate. This is another example of how stupid we can be when we get in a hurry. Now I make sure its closed everytime.
Old 10-15-2000, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

stick9: I don't think you want to hear my $.02 worth but seeing as you commented about few replys here it is.. Your honest mistakes sound more like very stupid mistakes. Take the radio out of your ears and pay attention to what you are doing,ALL the time.
Old 10-16-2000, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

be carefull

i got a call today from one of my former bosses asking me to make emergency phone calls for him. He was in the emergency room after having an accident with the aerator. OK its not as bad as i am sure many of you are thinking but i will explain.
When he was cleaning the chain on his lawn-air IV he accidently rolled the machine forward catching his fingers in between the chain and sprocket. In order to get his hand back out he had to run them all the way around the sprocket. (talk about bad mental image) Well now he is not going to be able to use his hand for a good few months after reconstructive surgery of his hand.

so let me just say again, take your time and make sure you are carefull in everything you do, the time you could save is not worth the 30 seconds it would have taken him to make sure the aerator was in a stable location.

happy mowing.

Happy Mowing from StL
-Scott Marquart

www.westcountylandscaping.com
Old 10-16-2000, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Member

only two guys make stupid mistakes with my company, their names are "not me" and his brother "I don't know"
Old 10-16-2000, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnmaster....OUCH!!!!!!!!!! The picture in my head looks real nasty.

I have had some good ones over the years. I put a rock through a Beretta windshield and a house window. One rock!!

Just last week, one of my employees was lasering with my new ultra vac on. It sticks out about 18 inches more with it on, he wasn't paying attention and hit a lamp post!! Knocked it over, glass shattered. I was really pissed, but what are you going to do, these things happen. I was more mad that he was late and hung over. Typical employee problems.
Old 10-16-2000, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I'll have to admite to .....well not my mistakes but my emploies.

My brother was working for me this spring at a nursing home I have done for several years, I always mulch because of lots of sliding glass windows. The lawn is in good shape so not many rocks but he found one, I was weedeating, it went between my legs and found the window.
A dining room window, just befor serving lunch, out ran 3 or 4 nurses yelling and hollering telling me and him what we just did, to "point that damn thing the other direction". Well did I ever go off! I said you morons take care of your patients let me take care of this.
Like I said mulch plate ON mower actually pointed away from the side it hit. Out from under the mower deck!! Thats what I pay insurence for.
Well to make a long story short all the nurses had to appoligise to us. The management looked at the situation saw where the mower was which way it was pointing, the mulch plate was on. Just "one of those things that couldnt be avoided" Jim
Old 10-16-2000, 01:56 PM

"I ever go off! I said you _morons take care of your patients let me take care "
Thats funny naturalawn. Debri can shoot out from all areas of a mower deck.
Old 10-16-2000, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Gene glblahblah ..

Glad to read that you got the point. The point WAS sTuPId mistakes!! They are still 'honest' mistakes .. but ... if you would have read ALL the replies (including my beginning post), you would (I assume) have understood that this thread is dealing with STUPID mistakes. Wow. Glad you're on the same page with the rest of us.

(I pay FULL attention while I'm working. The radio keeps me from going mad due to the monotony of the work. I'm sorry if you can't do more then one thing at a time, but I think most other people can.)

Thanks for your two cents!

stick9

BTW- the aforementioned reply dealing with the 'no posting' was to GET people to post! Thanks again, for posting. My job is done.

[Edited by stick9 on 10-16-2000 at 10:59 PM]
Old 10-16-2000, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I had something to say, but the stupid cat just erased it!!