Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-13-2003, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to agree with Rustic on this one. My customers would tell me to take a hike.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All you are in college is a SS#!! I keep expecting one of my professors to ask me a question and refer to me as Mr. @#$-@#-!(@&* instead of Mr. Holman. I don't like giving my SS# to many people.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

++++A better, and eisier solution will be to collect one month in advance, and dont let them get behind. Im sure you will find that getting paid one month in advance will be easier than getting a ss #.++++

I actually like this idea the best, but how do you do it with QUickbooks? I've played around with it, but I've had no luck so far.

What I'd really like to do is get payment for four cuts, plus sales tax, up front and basically hold that as a deposit. Then bill normally in arrrears. When they cancel, the deposit would post to the current statement. Or after a year of current payments, I could post the deposit to their monthly statements.

If I knew how to make this work in Quickbooks, I'd be all over it.

I guess I could go open a separate checking account where I post customer's deposits and keep track of these deposits on a separate spreadsheet. I guess I could make that work. But it would be a little more complicated.

If only their monthly statements would show something reflecting the up-front deposit being held. That would seem to be the best, in my opinion. Maybe I could just write it in by hand every month..."$125 deposit being held in separate account."

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 10-14-2003, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Rustic. No SS#.

As far as quickbooks, record it under the customer in a seperate business. Then when you actually use the deposit, apply it to their account in your working business. That's what I did for snow deposits last winter. And if you are going to take deposits, you should hold them in a seperate account apart from other money so you don't spend it all.