Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-12-2003, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fall Letter

Here is a letter I'm working on to send out to customers. Let me know what you think. So far I've only put 5% thought into it. Just wanted to get a few ideas down on paper. Waiting for your feedback to finish it. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: doc fall letter 2003.doc (24.0 KB, 515 views)
Old 10-12-2003, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I dunno, but if I was your customer, and I found out you put my name and addie on the web, I'd drop you like a hot potato.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i tried to edit it but said my 10 minute time limit expired. i wrote to the moderator asking them to let me change it. i feel like an arsehole.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

lol No biggie. At least this isn't a gaming forum, where kiddies abound. You should be OK.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

wait wait, i retract my last post......i mean, uh, i made up a name and address. that is not one of my customers.

there, much better.

hey guys, its been downloaded 54 times and only one comment. kinda defeats the purpose of the thread. lil help now. lil help.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK,OK!I'll put in my .02.Needs some umph! Got any pics you can use as a background?Maybe yourself doing a leaf removal job or even some clipart?Just looks too plain to me,but hey,I've sent out a few(ok a really small amount in one neighborhood) and have yet to receive one reply,so what do I know.
One more thing.I know you want them to know all the services you offer,but it sounds like your begging for work.(Which of course,we are : )
Just make up a flier with all the services you offer that can be used year round instead of at certain times of the year.Then send those out to all your customers and prospects.Print them on nice paper,not glossy photo like I did(cause it has a tendacy to smear).Looked real good till I got one returned because the house is no longer there(burned down).Opened it up only to find some of the ink smeared when pulling the flier out of the envelope.
There's my thoughts.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the refer a friend offer, I started doing that, "refer a friend and get a free mow"
Old 10-13-2003, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi ExpertLawns,

Here are some more ideas you could consider incorporating into your letter.

Marketing techniques to build referals
Old 10-13-2003, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ok much better

NickN - I actually just bought a digital camera and took some pictures today. Equipment, stripes, before and afters. Maybe I can use one of those when I upload them.
The reason I don't make up one flyer and send them to customers and prospects is because I like the idea of personal attention. Each customer will receive a letter, nicely typed with letter head (logo) and addressed to them personally. I DO like the idea of the background picture.
I have seperate fall cleanup flyers which I distribute in local neighborhoods.
As for mentioning all those services; well, I never really advertise other services, mostly just mowing. I figure by mentioning the other services just once, during the fall, they will be aware that I DO offer them. I dont' like the idea of pressing customers about other services, my time is pretty much filled up with weekly mows and school. But since it is fall and many weeklys are now bi-weeklys, I have some time to fill.
Just my outlook on things. Other people budger their time differently. Thanks for all the input guys, and I have already made a few changes, I'll keep ya posted.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this letter going to be sent out to current or prospect customers?

If they are current, all you should do is write something like saying you are getting ready to star doing clean ups, explain the way you do it for most of your customers, then a follow up call to make sure they received the letter and go from that.

If you're targetting new customers I'd recommend putting some kind of catch, like schedule your service before certain date and you'll get a 10% discount or some other thing.

What about a free yard of mulch next spring, most people needs more than a yard usually then you get more work.