Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-21-2003, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose there's no way to know how the yellow pages will do unless I try them out. One of the problems is that they come out in the fall, last time I checked. I wouldn't be able to afford to start a $400/month ad in the fall with a small customer base. I would have to make enough in the summer to set that money aside.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 10-21-2003, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea set a little money aside during the season for advertising next year. Also when I satrted the YP I went in and talked to the saleman the last week they were taking applications for new ads, because of this I got 60% off the ad which dropped a $200 ad down to less then $100. Good luck
Old 10-21-2003, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

promower: Out of curiousity, do you remember the average number of jobs that ad brought you per month?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 10-21-2003, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In april through mid may when everything was starting to get busy here I would get 4-5 calls per day. I picked up 32 regular mowing jobs in two months. Then in the middle of the season calls slowed quite a bit, many calls for pruning, trimming. For what I paid The ad was was the best decision I made for marketing, but also the most expensive. YP in my area go out to 800,000 residents/buisness'
Old 10-21-2003, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

promower, you got really good results from using the YP. For a clearer picture of those results, would you mind posting particulars about your local YP and your ad in it.

Under what and how many headings is your ad under?

How many competitors ads are also shown under each heading where your have a listing?

Size of ad?

General size of your community?

These are factors that would help anyone considering a YP ad for comparison to their area and ad plans.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My ad was under the heading "Lawn" It was the second page in with two large ads of well known companies (1/4 page ads) then mine which was 2" by 2" I think. There were several other companies on the same page but my ad was 1 in 3 that were color, and not just a one line ad, buisness name and number. Very large community with several suburbs, 800,000 books went out to areas that I could cover with a drive time of 25 min or less. My ad was very basic, mowing, trimming, spring fall clean up, dethatch. And that was about it. I will try post a pic of the ad that will be going out in next years book, couldnt find this years ad lost out phone book. I posted it once before but I couldnt find the thread. My new ad is a leader ad so it will be the first one. Hope this answers some questions.
Attached Images