Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2000, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you gentlemen get all you knowledge?

I know there is college. No time.

Are there web sites that teach or help teach lawncare? Books you have read?

I read lawnsite and the mags, but dont get much in the arena of lawncare how to's. The "Soil Test" by Kirby is the type of stuff i am looking for. I want to dedicate this winter to learning more than just how to stripe better and which mower is better. I would like to find places to get a "REAL" education without me having to attend some college or something. I know the local community college offers these classes, but only in the spring time. Need i say more on why i cant attend those classes?

Let me know. I am hoping that this thread can become a treasure trove of learning materials.

Heck, at this point i am even thinking of turning to one of Bill's books. (jk bill)

Have a good one yall and thanks for taking the time to help us unejumakated folk.

Acute Cut
Old 10-17-2000, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Acute-I would like to know stuff like that too. I have landscaping books that are full of facts about PH tests, etc.. No general mowing or trimming etc. books that I have seen. Like how to stipe (beautifuly or Eric Style) and how to edge correctly. Someone of this stuff is a no-brainer but some actually needs some sort of explanation to accomplish. Most of the things I know I either learned here or by my own experiences. I guess the statement "we learn something new everyday" is true. I think that most of learning comes from our own "fiddling" with things. I am constantly trying new striping patterns, the best way to hold your trimmer when edging, whatever. Edging is tough with me 'cuz I'm short and have a curved shaft trimmer so I had to find a good way to do it. I agree that technical things that involve a sort of chemistry or math or whatever that is too difficult to be explained by Joe across the street needs to be in a book. Whenever that book comes out, I'm gettin' a copy.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-17-2000, 12:33 AM
Millenium Member

Here are a few web sites I read when I first started, actually I'm going to read over some of them again.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/TurfFiles/home.html

Click on lawn tips: http://www.lawninstitute.com/

http://www.turfgrasssod.org/trc/index.html

Links galore, diseases, bugs, grasses and more: http://www.turfgrasssod.org/links.ht...%20and%20Local

There's enough reading in the above links to make you sick of reading.

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 10-17-2000 at 04:40 AM]
Old 10-17-2000, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kirby:
As always you come through for us. Thank you.

I can not put into words how thankful i am to you for sharing with us little guys these GREAT sites! I have been reading since you posted. This is gonna take WEEKS!

(sniffle, sniffle).......I LOVE YOU MAN!

hehe
thanks kirby

Sincerly thankful,
Acute Cut
Old 10-17-2000, 04:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our local associations have winter classes given by MSU botnists and such. Perhaps your local association does too.

University extension services also are a great source, especially in the off-season.
Old 10-17-2000, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

THANKS FOR THE LINKS RAY,I BOOKED MARKED THEM
ANTHONY
Old 10-17-2000, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/pub/p...ss/index.shtml
Old 10-17-2000, 06:58 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
In PA the state (using PSU PHDs from state college)puts on programs thru the county extension agents (there are 67 countys) but you have to be on the mailing list (send a letter to the agents in the counties in your part of the state.

I took a course that was 3 full days over three weeks in the poconos at a resort that cost a whopping $75 that included a buffet lunch every day.

You dont have to be a PA resident to get the deal. They don't check to see if you are a resident.

The PA Turfgrass Council puts on a one day seminar in the winter in Pittsburgh, Phila (2 day king of prussia) and last and least in Wilkes-Barre.

I am going to the Phila meeting this year. Its two days vs. one day and they have a LOT more trade show venders.

The Pa Nurserymans Assoc. Has meetings usually in Allentown,
Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg.
Old 10-17-2000, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

don't forget about thew public library, books, magazines, papers, computers, etc. its all free..
Old 10-17-2000, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stone...When is the King of Prussia meeting? I'd be interested in that. You can e-mail me at oscapes@yahoo.com