Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2003, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Motivation.....

Cold mornings, short days.......I am starting to feel the effect of a long season already and am sure my guys are as well. Any advice to get the boys jump started and enthused about the next month and a half before snow flies?? I have learned that monetary incentives work for the short run (first check they get) and then back to their old ways. It has definately been a good year and I don' t want to "cruise" through the end of the year. This is our time to put it in overdrive and make the money. Thanks in advance. Ryan
Old 10-20-2003, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

perhaps talk to them about the motivation by taking them out to breakfast. Explain to them the importance of the end of the year and tell them that you would appreciate them if they would take a little more pride in their work. Because by proving their loyality to the company ensures them an employment spot come next year.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In one of my prior lives, I used to be involved in contracting with outside HR consultants (you know, consultants....they're the people who sell company mgt the newest flavor of the month, collect their big consulting fee, and then run like hellll to catch the first flight out of town before you realize they just sold you the same old stuff in a new shiny wrapper.)

Anyway, we surveyed over a thousand employees about what motivates them...and money, was way down the list...consistently in all the surveys. The number one motivating factor was RECOGNITION... followed by respect for their immediate manager. No magic bullet to meet these 2 criteria. Motivation is directly related to how effective you are as a leader. Only you can judge how good a leader you are. Its not easy, but thats why you are paid the big bucks and they're only getting $10/hour...if they're lucky. Go back and think about the most motivating coach or person you have worked or played for....I'll bet that person pushed you, kicked you, but also made you feel like you mattered in the scheme of things....I know this sounds like alot of bs...but I only know how being aware of these factors has improved my employee retention and motivation.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

GarPA,
You are onto something there.....Most polls show that motivation and employee retention is monetary only to a point,after that it is recognition and feeling more "equal and neccessary to the operation." (recognition)